Why become a member? ×

Fender needs dating help

danbanbass

Hey guys looking to sell my 70s - 80s Fender Precision, but need help with the date.

The neck stamp number is 0101 2113 and J Torres, Frank V, M Merrera.

The fender stamped neck plate has 386839

and the headstock just has fender precision bass.

i'll upload pictures later this evening.

Thanks

That serial dates it to about 1973 (I say about because Fender weren't particularly systematic in their serialization).

The neck code makes it a Precision with rosewood fingerboard. The last four numbers give the date - 21= 21st week, 1 = year (1971), 3 = 3rd day (Wednesday). Only Fender didn't apparently start using this system until 1972, which makes yours something of an oddity - not unusual for Fender.

You mights like to look at the codes on the back of the pots and check the numbers against the info given at [url="http://www.provide.net/~cfh/pots.html"]http://www.provide.net/~cfh/pots.html[/url] for a confirmation of the dates.

Interesting. The pickguard, pots and wiring aren't original - neither's the bridge, though you probably knew that.

The pickup should either be dated or have a code on it, but it's looks pretty much that this is a '73 bass. A quick check reveals that - surprise surprise - Fender did mess about with neck codes for whatever reason, which would make the neck completed on 21st week of 73 on a Monday.

I can't make out any holes for a bridge cover in those pictures. Under the guard there should be holes for the pickup cover and holes below the strings for a thumb rest.

hi musky, had a look there appears to be no stamping on the pickup etc and no extra holes on the body as you describe, what do you reckon its worth as is?
I also found a big metal plate underneath the pickup the same shape as the hole
Thanks
Dan

Edited by danbanbass

[quote name='danbanbass' post='103028' date='Dec 12 2007, 12:44 AM']hi musky, had a look there appears to be no stamping on the pickup etc and no extra holes on the body as you describe, what do you reckon its worth as is?
I also found a big metal plate underneath the pickup the same shape as the hole
Thanks
Dan[/quote]

It sounds pretty much as though the body isn't actually fender (not '73 anyway), though there's always the possibility that it's been resprayed covering the holes. I would have expected to see the wood unpainted on the bass side of the neck pocket as well.

The pickup bottoms should look like the ones [url="http://guitarhq.com/fenddiff/gray_bottom_pu.jpg"]here,[/url] though the lack of a stamp doesn't necessarily mean they definitely not original.

As for value, it might well fetch more for the parts. The neck alone might be £3/400 with the hardware (which appears to be original, what I can see of it) included if it's in good nick. The bridge is worth £25 or so. Perhaps £70 for the neck plate. Without knowing what all the other parts are it's impossible to guess, but probably not a great deal.