Why become a member? ×

Peavey T40 Wiring Issues

allighatt0r

Calling all wiring experts!

I've posted this in the T40 thread but thought it would get more attention here...

My T40 has a fairly major electrical issue. I got two new (correct) switches, and tried to wire them in myself, and failed awfully, so took it to my band's guitarist who has some soldering skills! He soldered them in but it was just not right. Turns out the wiring had already been redone from the original, so the decision was made to replace it all with new wiring (the existing wiring was in a right state). So, the guitarist got a copy of wiring diagram from the internet (i think it's the only one available on the net), and wired it from scratch.

However! Now, the bridge pickup is the only one that works, and only when the pickup selector is in the bottom position, the phase switch does nothing and neither does the tone pots and the whole thing buzzes horribly until the pickguard is installed into the bass.

Guitarist has looked at it and loked at it again, tried to insulate the wiring from the shielding and everything, but to no avail. So, what can I do? i have next to no wiring skills so i guess i need to send it to someone, but have no idea.

Please help! I miss my awesome T40 sound!!!

I've attached the T40 wiring diagram - it may well be the one you've already got.

The earthing in this diagram needs a bit of clarification if you're not familiar with it.

Firstly there should be a wire that runs from the earth on the output jack to a common earth point somewhere in the circuit (the back on one of the pot shells would do). This is very important.

Also, there should be a wire that runs from the bridge to a common earth point. This bridge wire is not usually soldered to the bridge but comes through a hole in the body beneath the bridge and is trapped between body and bridge when the bridge is screwed down.

In the diagram, the selector switch (S2) shows a triangular "lug" to the right, to which two earth wires are connected. This is just an earthing point - it should not be connected to any of the switch terminals but the wires shown in the diagram going to the pot shells are necessary to earth everything.

Every pot shell should connect to earth somewhere, and switch S1 should have one of the centre terminals connected to an earth (again, a pot shell would do).

Finally, if the control cavity is shielded in any way, then you should insulate it anywhere where the components could touch the shielding paint when the guitar is reassembled.

Hope this helps.

OK, I've got the beast in bits and it's becoming apparent that although my guitarist did his best, he's made a complete arse of it. How can i get this fixed? I really don't have the skills required. Is this something a luthier could sort and how much would this sort of thing cost?

EDIT: Also just discovered that one of the pots is broken. One of the lugs have been broken off. Grrr.

Edited by allighatt0r

Hi.

As I said in the T-40 section, I have the electrics of one of my Toasters
off the bass at the mo'
Can you get some clear shots of the wiring and post them.
If the issuue is simple, I could either put you right or you could send the
complete plate for me to have a look.
The only soldering for you to do would be back to the jack socket.

Would love to help - not nice being T-40less. :)

[quote name='FlatEric' post='922273' date='Aug 12 2010, 08:01 AM']Hi.

As I said in the T-40 section, I have the electrics of one of my Toasters
off the bass at the mo'
Can you get some clear shots of the wiring and post them.
If the issuue is simple, I could either put you right or you could send the
complete plate for me to have a look.
The only soldering for you to do would be back to the jack socket.

Would love to help - not nice being T-40less. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Hi Eric,

I'll try to get some clear shots tonight if I can. The earth from the jack goes straight to the bridge, so that earth isn't included in the rest of the circuit's eart, so i think that is problem 1. I'm pretty certain the phase switch isn't right, as there are two wires from the neck pickup going to each terminal on one end instead of one at each end.

And, I think he's tried to wire it so that the two pots closer to the pickup selector are the volumes and the two closer to the jack are the tones, which is not how it was before! :)

Thanks