Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot AH500 markV

witterth

when I turned it on, there seemed to be a funny rattling sound from the fan, but after the soundcheck (and I do play quite loudly) it seemed to be gone and amp worked (fan intact/working)
any thoughs? do I need to worry?
have I inadverantly"shook" the problem better? is that possible?
anyone know?
thanks chaps.

[quote name='witterth' post='913053' date='Aug 2 2010, 06:05 PM']when I turned it on, there seemed to be a funny rattling sound from the fan, but after the soundcheck (and I do play quite loudly) it seemed to be gone and amp worked (fan intact/working)
any thoughs? do I need to worry?
have I inadverantly"shook" the problem better? is that possible?
anyone know?
thanks chaps.[/quote]

The fan is a mechanical thing and can (and eventually will) fail. Sometimes they can just be packed with dust and it might be worth a quick going over with the vacuum cleaner. If in doubt, get it replaced as an efficient fan is rather important!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='913853' date='Aug 3 2010, 01:47 PM']The fan is a mechanical thing and can (and eventually will) fail. Sometimes they can just be packed with dust and it might be worth a quick going over with the vacuum cleaner. If in doubt, get it replaced as an efficient fan is rather important![/quote]
what just a normal "dyson" type vac out?
Bob?
any ideas how much a new fitted fan could cost?
As I say its an 83/84 ish TE AH500 mark V
stereo one

[quote name='witterth' post='913954' date='Aug 3 2010, 03:16 PM']what just a normal "dyson" type vac out?[/quote]

Anything with a fan drags dust right through. That's pretty much what you get with a so-called 'service'. A conventional vac with a soft brush used carefully will be fine (if there's something loose to suck up then you have worse problems!). I'm not too familiar with Trace stuff (even though I've got one) but you might be lucky enough to find that replacing the fan involves four screws and a plug on the circuit board (if it needs replaced).

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='913983' date='Aug 3 2010, 03:42 PM']Anything with a fan drags dust right through. That's pretty much what you get with a so-called 'service'. A conventional vac with a soft brush used carefully will be fine (if there's something loose to suck up then you have worse problems!). I'm not too familiar with Trace stuff (even though I've got one) but you might be lucky enough to find that replacing the fan involves four screws and a plug on the circuit board (if it needs replaced).[/quote]
Thanks for that PB!!
its an old one so Im worried it'll be dear!
mind you it was serviced in feb (reliable engineer too)so maybe not
fingers Xd