Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gear insurance in ireland?

fatback

Does anyone know who's the best for insuring instruments and gear in the south?

UK companies don't seem able to offer cover here, and the few big companies I've tried here don't do it.

Somebody must do it, but i guess I'm prepared for a rip off like so much else here. :)

Hey,

I've tried to insure my gear (live in a rented apartment in Cork City).

Having called around everywhere, I was told:

- You cannot insure any aspect of an apartment which you do not own.
- You cannot insure music equipment regardless.

Fully predictable. I've lived in a couple of other countries where I would usually insure the contents of my apartment with whichever bank I was using.

As I'm sure you well know, [b]nothing[/b] is rational on this bloody island.

[quote name='schmig' post='913507' date='Aug 3 2010, 09:28 AM']Hey,

I've tried to insure my gear (live in a rented apartment in Cork City).

Having called around everywhere, I was told:

- You cannot insure any aspect of an apartment which you do not own.
- You cannot insure music equipment regardless.

Fully predictable. I've lived in a couple of other countries where I would usually insure the contents of my apartment with whichever bank I was using.

As I'm sure you well know, [b]nothing[/b] is rational on this bloody island.[/quote]

Everything seems to be run for the convenience of the company and staff rather than the customer. I did find one instrument insurer, but they then specified 'no rock or pop groups'.

Let's face it, this is the place with tram routes that don't actually join up. What do we expect?

[quote name='schmig' post='913669' date='Aug 3 2010, 11:11 AM']I share your frustration. The only way to bring about change in this country is to emigrate![/quote]

Done that once already!

On insurance, even the musician's Union couldn't help. Told me to check the Hot Press yearbook (which I have no intention of buying).

Gee, just as well we don't have thieves here. :)

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='913745' date='Aug 3 2010, 12:23 PM']I had some success with Endsleigh years ago, as a student living in shared accomodation. But that was in Belfast, so not sure if they operate in the south.

Have you tried taking out home contents insurance and listing it in that?[/quote]

No luck with Endsleigh down here.

I've got some very limited cover with house insurance, but it won't do the typical instrument policy stuff like cover you for 'unattended in the venue' and all that. 'All risks' doesn't seem to mean that at all.

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='913900' date='Aug 3 2010, 02:29 PM']I was talking to a a local luither person about a valuation and setup on my double bass and apparently theirs a new company in dublin that will insure every aspect of it. Even if you reverse over it or similiar. Ill try and find the name of the company again.[/quote]

That would be great, thanks. :)