Why become a member? ×

Transporting gear

270degrees

Hi, guys. I've put this here as the courier sticky is above: it's related but move if necessary.

Given the frequency that people buy and sell things on here, would it be possible/practical to have our own 'courier' system? I imagine there are a number of people that make a regular trip from one part of the country to another and perhaps we could use this to our advantage. Not that I have anything against couriers personally but I'd much rather have someone who knows how to treat gear transport it, even if it means waiting a few days longer.

Obviously, this kind of system relies on a great deal of trust but no more than using a courier or, for eg., ebay and, chances are, you've met or know someone who knows the person. Also, I think it goes without saying that the 'transporter' gets something towards fuel and/or the extra time involved but that's a separate issue.

Do we have enough people making the kind of trips required for this to work? Even a one-off trip may help someone out; we could have a thread in which people post these trips.

Comments/suggestions/flames/pointing-out of flaws/etc?

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

A good idea, but realistically you are asking someone to do quite a bit of work, lifting, maybe go out of their way etc for nothing..and although there are more than a few who may do this... it is a bit much to expect. And if you give the guy a drink - depending on what a drink is - you may just as well pay a courier charge.

Nice idea and all the rest, but probably wouldn't work.

Hi, JT. Thanks for your comment.

When I posted, I was thinking more along the lines of a bass, rather than a full stack or whatever. I wouldn't expect someone to deliver my Trace 8x10 for 50p and a sherbet fountain but I'd be more than happy to pay £20-30 for someone to bring a bass over to me, especially if it's valuable.

It was just a thought, anyway. I have been told, on more than one occasion, that I live in a dream world!!! :)

[quote name='270degrees' post='911262' date='Jul 31 2010, 02:35 PM']Hi, JT. Thanks for your comment.

When I posted, I was thinking more along the lines of a bass, rather than a full stack or whatever. I wouldn't expect someone to deliver my Trace 8x10 for 50p and a sherbet fountain but I'd be more than happy to pay £20-30 for someone to bring a bass over to me, especially if it's valuable.

It was just a thought, anyway. I have been told, on more than one occasion, that I live in a dream world!!! :)[/quote]

As a one-off, then maybe. There are quite a few who would and could want to help out.

There has been a recent saga of a Bass crawl to Wales from Kent....not sure how that went, in the end, but a few put their hand up.

On reflection, who better to transport your bass than a BC-er who would probably deffo empathise with the concern of transporting a valued item. hmmm, not too bad if a one-off network could exist

[quote name='JTUK' post='911321' date='Jul 31 2010, 04:01 PM']There has been a recent saga of a Bass crawl to Wales from Kent....not sure how that went, in the end, but a few put their hand up.[/quote]

Link please!

Could work. I'd rather trust a fellow BC bass player than a courier, that's for sure.

[quote name='OldGit' post='911896' date='Aug 1 2010, 02:07 PM']Link please!

Could work. I'd rather trust a fellow BC bass player than a courier, that's for sure.[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=92662&st=20&start=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...20&start=20[/url]