Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Combustion

Veils

I've only just come across these slightly cheaper models which Dingwall produce and I've been thinking about getting a fanned fret bass for a while. With the price these are set at, I feel it may well be worth a punt having never played a fanned fret bass before, but if anyone here has played one I'm more interested to know what the build quality and sound are like. Is there a noticeable drop in quality from the standard Canadian built basses?

The Gallery has a combustion, an ABZ, a super J and a Z1 at the mo. If I were to choose, I would pick the ABZ - it is only £200 more than a combustion, made in Canada, super light and sounds and looks great (if you like natural wood finishes). It also feels pro, rock-solid to play. The combustion has a painted body and doesn't look anywhere near as nice imho.

Edited by XB26354

Like niceguyhomer said, the build quality of the ABZ is worth the extra buck.

I would recommend even just trying to save up that extra to the 2.1 grand mark because you can then upgrade to an AB2 which will weigh absolutely nothing just like your abz but have absolutely beautiful wood, finish and a better active tone.

They are beautiful basses though!

I need to hear one really. I'm not fussed about the fanned fret thing, I can't recall seeing one comment from someone who [i]couldn't[/i] get used to fanned frets, but I do care about how they sound and how well they are built.

I might go on a geeky day out this weekend :)

Spent a day in bass direct 2 weeks ago and tried out an ABZ - while for me the fanned fret thing didn't work (2 breaks in my left arm + plates and 2 operations mean the wrist rotation needed for hitting the 1st few frets was a little beyond me) they are very well build basses.

Very nice jazz bass type sound as well (to my ears), but i'm very much a pbass style guy and the sound for me was just a little to delicate - although very even and beautifully precise.

Definitely worth a try.