Why become a member? ×

Shipping Boxes

Hello_Dave

[quote name='Hello_Dave' post='9209' date='May 30 2007, 02:06 PM']I need to send a bass through the post and I only have a gig bag. I'm gonna need two boxes one a bit bigger than the other but I'm having a hard time finding them from any online retailers. Does anyone know where I can get some?

Cheers,
Kev[/quote]

I usually pop into town and ask in one of the shop if they have any spare boxes.
They've always just given me one and I got the impression they always have too many - I guess a lot of people don't want the box when they buy a guitar so the shops end up with a surplus that are in the way.

Cheers
John

Depends on the shop - I went into the local Rimmers Music at lunchtime to try and get a box for shipping a bass in and they said no - in fact the manager has a policy of not giving away the boxes at all as they consider ebay a direct competitor, personally i can't see how me selling 1 guitar is going to have any great impact on them but there you go. Guess I'll have to get some cardboard from elsewhere :huh:

good luck, if you find a source let me know :)

[quote name='jwbassman' post='9232' date='May 30 2007, 02:28 PM']Depends on the shop - I went into the local Rimmers Music at lunchtime to try and get a box for shipping a bass in and they said no - in fact the manager has a policy of not giving away the boxes at all as they consider ebay a direct competitor, personally i can't see how me selling 1 guitar is going to have any great impact on them but there you go. Guess I'll have to get some cardboard from elsewhere :huh:

good luck, if you find a source let me know :)[/quote]

I didn't find a source but Ive just spent the day driving around Manchester looking for a box to fit my Tokai Jazz. Dawsons only had a Rockbass box which wasn't large enough, Sound Control in Manchester just had acoustic boxes so I decided to try Sound Control in Salford Quays. They didn't think they had anything to fit a Jazz but said to try the skip on the carpark anyway just in case.

Well i did, and it must have been my lucky day because there was one guitar box and it was for a Fender Jazz lol!

Only the bigger stores will be getting regular deliveries of basses so it's best to try your Dawsons and Sound Controls.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Morning View' post='13881' date='Jun 7 2007, 10:36 PM']If your really stuck for finding one for free locally check out Pack N' Move. A google search should bring up their website and they do a tall thin box ideal for shipping a bass in a gig bag. Its a bit pricey though, especially for delivery.[/quote]

I couldn't find the 'thin' box here and I didn't spot one that looked like it might suit a bass either.

[url="http://www.packnmove.co.uk/cardboard_storage_boxes/"]http://www.packnmove.co.uk/cardboard_storage_boxes/[/url]

Which one did you mean ?

Andy

[quote name='jwbassman' post='9232' date='May 30 2007, 02:28 PM']Depends on the shop - I went into the local Rimmers Music at lunchtime to try and get a box for shipping a bass in and they said no - in fact the manager has a policy of not giving away the boxes at all as they consider ebay a direct competitor, personally i can't see how me selling 1 guitar is going to have any great impact on them but there you go. Guess I'll have to get some cardboard from elsewhere :huh:

good luck, if you find a source let me know :)[/quote]

TBH the manager in that shop is a complete numpty!!!
They have a policy that they will match any like for like price, BUT they wouldnt match a price on a Behringer mixer, Dawsons had it for £40 but the cheapest price he would do it for was £80!!!!

I get all my boxes for shipping basses from the music shop in Ormskirk.

Okay, I tried my local guitar shop, and they said "you really wouldn't want to post a valuable guitar in the boxes we have here".

Any other suggestions for sourcing boxes suitable for posting guitars ?

I would have thought that eBay would have loads of people offerring boxes (given how many eBay users must use them), but I've drawn a blank on guitar/bass boxes so far.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='17165' date='Jun 13 2007, 08:07 PM']Is there really no alternative to scrounging these from local guitar shops ?

No online source at all ?[/quote]

I didn't find anywhere that sold suitable boxes. I ended up making a box out of big pieces of cardboard picked up from a local self storage place that was big enough to fit the smaller Fender shipping box in.

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='21396' date='Jun 21 2007, 02:41 PM']That's a bit illogical, isn't it? I mean, how did the bass get to their shop in the first place? Presumably in the same (kind of) box as they advise you not to use.[/quote]
All I know is, I've seen people leaving music shops with new guitars in extremely flimsy looking cartons. Maybe the cheaper guitars are packed this way individually but shipped in bulk in a larger box ?

I dunno ... but what the guy said to me confirmed my pre-conceptions about flimsy guitar boxes.

Seems my most likely option is a visit to local supermarket or self-storage co., followed by a bit of DIY with tape and stanley knife.