Why become a member? ×

Tweeters

allihts

I've just got a new 4x10 cab with a tweeter but I've read online that using distortion on a cab with a tweeter can damage it because of the high frequencies. I'm just wondering if this is true and to what extent the distortion damages it.

Thanks, Alli

[quote name='allihts' post='897228' date='Jul 17 2010, 12:43 PM']I've just got a new 4x10 cab with a tweeter but I've read online that using distortion on a cab with a tweeter can damage it because of the high frequencies. I'm just wondering if this is true and to what extent the distortion damages it.

Thanks, Alli[/quote]

I have used distortion pedals with lots of different cabs, all with tweeters, for years and they have not been damaged. Sounds like rubbish to me.

Edited by thebassman

It sounds horrible because of high frequencies. Not sure a pedal distortion is going to cause it much upset, usual rule appllies with sound horrible, turn down. The bit tat kills tweeters is the square wave when you clip a power stage, because suddenly loads of power is shunted to the tweeter as the crossover sees the 'flat' bit as entirely high frequencies, if there is a bulb protecting the tweeter, that is when your cab glows. I'd guess this might happen with a distortion pedal, but probably not nearly to the same extent, and your ears will protest before the tweeter expires. Just unwire the tweeter.