Why become a member? ×

New Villex pickups and Passive Eq

fullrangebass

No need to say that I have so far been very impressed from Villex products, namely their pickups, their Passive Rotary Tone Booster (PRTB) and the guitar booster. I have bought and tried many pickups and preamps through the years and while there are many great products out there, none has impressed me (sonically) as much as Villex.

There was a talk for a new line of Villex pickups coming out, as well as a passive EQ that would independently boost highs/mids/lows. It sounded like mission impossible, but Villex has made all promises come true so far; so I went ahead and ordered a pair of the new Villex pickups and EQ for a Bart equipped high end bass. The bass had 5 holes drilled for controls. I wanted to try something different from the vol/vol configuration that Villex suggests (which I truly love on my Dingwall Voodoo), so I asked Villex if I could use a 4 position rotary switch instead. First surprise here: Unlike the Villex “Classic” mid-control which is part of the sensor curcuit, the pickups are independent from the Passive Booster EQ circuit!!! This means I could use the 4 position rotary switch (just like I like to have). Still the EQ board is ready to receive the output wires from the pickups, any moment I choose to go to Vol/Vol configuration.

The appearance of the pickups show no sign of what is about to be heard. The pots came already soldiered (just as I asked for), leaving only the pickup wires to be soldered to the 4 pos rotary switch, the rotary switch to the volume and the hot and ground to the output jack. The wiring diagrams were included and all were clearly and idiot-proof labelled. The whole soldering and pickup placing took less than 30min. Impressive.

Now it’s time to plug in. Expectations are high. The “Classic” Villex pickups are full, balanced and organic. How do the new compare?

When I plugged the new Villex equipped bass the sound came out full, detailed, balanced and LOUD. The output is hotter than Villex “Classic” but it sounds very vibrant and dynamic, not compressed at all. Still all the pots are in full counter-clockwise position. The bass frequencies are solid, full and clear, the mids are nice and open and the highs are present in a very nice way. Villex “Classic” has been described as dark sometimes; the new Villex pickups are far from that. The highs are present, yet not harsh, metallic, clanky or clicky. Still the sound is Villex only fuller, more balanced and more detailed.

The signal to noise ratio is excellent even with all controls in full(super great for recording as well as performing).

An added (and very interesting) bonus is the XLR option output (just like Wal or Manne to name a few). I have not used in the studio, yet but I may add a second output if this bass turns into a full-time studio bass.

The 4 position rotary switch allows for a wide range of sounds straight from the start. The bridge pickup is brighter, the parallel more open, the series setting is the loudest with complex mids while the neck pickup alone is thick along the lines of the full, detailed and balanced.

Now it’s time to start using the Passive EQ Booster. The treble adds a nice bite and airy detail to the sound (never getting to sound clanky or harsh). The mids are musically voiced to add body and substance to (but not to blur) the notes and the bass adds great thickness to the sound without muddying or darkening the sound. It’s very impressive that the controls do not subtract from one another while providing great sounds along the range. Even when the controls are wide open the sound is not compressed, artificial or “plastic”. I was not able to make the bass sound thin, anaemic or weak (in any frequency or setting) and this has nothing to do with the good output of the pickups and the circuit; it’s all related to the quality of the sounds produced.

The whole Passive EQ Booster circuit works in a way that is quite different to the Passive Rotary Tone Booster (sound-wise). It is very versatile, with a great range of tones, great sounding yet PASSIVE. I have no idea how Villex did it, but it works.

The range of sounds provided cannot be fully appreciated through PC speakers. My iAmp800 along with my 4x10”& tweeter and 15” have really allowed me to listen to a new universe of sounds.

I am very impressed. The promise has become reality. Fantastic new sounds as well as a versatile Passive 3-band EQ Boost!!!

Highly recommended!!!

I have already placed the order for another set of new Villex pickups and Passive EQ Booster

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks, Fullrangebass!

I invited Fullrangebass to post his review here, so you can look at it as an independent product preview. It's not on the website yet. I will be getting a set, putting it in a bass and submitting the bass for a review here in the UK; but that will take 2-3 months, and I thought this would be a good way to give you all heads-up.

Tigran

Last night I went to the rehearsal with the Villex pickups and EQ. I can say that with a full range stack you can fine tune the bass just from the pickups with EQ (I really hardly touched the EQ). the 10"'s give all the detail to the sound that is really hard to believe (unless you hear it yourself). thank you Mr Villex for the fantastic sounds provided by both the "Classic" and the New line

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='ped' post='101364' date='Dec 8 2007, 04:37 PM']Certainly looks superb - can we have some sound clips?[/quote]

I truly apologize for the delay but many things kept me busy (like the pneumonia I was suffering while recording these clips)

Please don't judge the fluidity of the scales (or better yet, the lack of it) just listen to the sounds, before and after. more clips to follow

[url="http://www.zshare.net/download/6154095324a9e5/"]http://www.zshare.net/download/6154095324a9e5/[/url]

A great review.

Villex are imo a very interesting bunch. I believe that there's a lot of mythology surrounding pickups but the reality is that there's only so much that a magnet and some coils of wire can do.

What Villex are doing however is something completely different. My own Villex modified Lakland has an active like output in terms of magnitude but is noiseless. This new gear sounds really interesting and deserves greater broadcasting to the bass public.

Up with ACG basses I believe they deserve to have a much higher profile in the bass world.

Just my thoughts.