Why become a member? ×

Torn between two combos :blink:

Supertim

Hi all

newbie here just looking for a few comments on cheap combo amps. I have recently started gigging again after retiring from touring some 5 years ago.

I sold of most of my gear back then, however I have just joined a local Pub Rock covers band and I am looking at a budget combo for small venue gigs.

After a couple of hours of looking at various amps it is a tie between the HArtke A100 and the Ashdown EB 180 EVO II, both of which are retailing at under £300

Anyone use either of these amps and would care to pass comment on their long term reliability? Also anyone who has the Hartke amp, how does the sound work at high volume? I figure that by only using a 100W amp competing against 300W guitar amps I will need to utilise the higher end of the volume scale?

any comments on either of these Amps greatly appreciated. If it helps I used to play through a Galien Kruger classic head and used a Hartke 4x10 for small to medium sized gigs and a Ampeg 8x12 for arena shows

I have an EB-180. It was my first bass amp and I gigged plenty over a 2-3 year period with little bother. I found it to be very reliable, and have no complaints, I just replaced it because I fancied something bigger.

It competed well enough at small gigs against a noisy drummer and two 50W fender guitar amps, but it needed DIing at anything bigger. If you really are competing against 300W (!) guitar amps you'll struggle, but I'm assuming that's a typo for 30W?!

I still have the amp and keep meaning to shift it, if you're anywhere near Leeds then we could work something out? £120? I have some pictures somewhere....

FWIW, you might be better off looking at the F/S section on here for a budget combo - if you've got £300 to spend you're money will go much further than buying new.

[quote name='bungle' post='893622' date='Jul 13 2010, 12:37 PM']I have an EB-180. It was my first bass amp and I gigged plenty over a 2-3 year period with little bother. I found it to be very reliable, and have no complaints, I just replaced it because I fancied something bigger.

It competed well enough at small gigs against a noisy drummer and two 50W fender guitar amps, but it needed DIing at anything bigger. If you really are competing against 300W (!) guitar amps you'll struggle, but I'm assuming that's a typo for 30W?!

I still have the amp and keep meaning to shift it, if you're anywhere near Leeds then we could work something out? £120? I have some pictures somewhere....

FWIW, you might be better off looking at the F/S section on here for a budget combo - if you've got £300 to spend you're money will go much further than buying new.[/quote]

Cheers Bungle, No type O the Guitarists both use 300W combos, however they are generally only at half volume and both of them use guitar sounds that are easy for the Bass to penetrate. I used a 200W Peavey for a gig on Friday night and it punched through OK, even at half volume.

I am in the Glasgow area, so no joy on that front, I will look at the gear section

cheers

I would say say the EVO over the harkte... As much as I'm not a fan of either,I've tried both and the evo has a warmer sound (not that bad). The harkte sounds very plastic to me, rather a boom than bass, well in my cloggy ears anyway

Keep an eye on the second hand market.. You get far better quality in sound for less money.. after going from an ampeg rig.. you'll need it

Shame you're so far away- my Trace Elliot 150w combo is up for sale, virtually new condition. Probably more RMS power than the EB combo too, I've used an EB 180 at a rehearsal before and it was good but it did sound like a small rig. The Trace sounds huge! Cuts through my band no worries.

I think you'd struggle with the 100w Hartke TBH.

I've also got a Hartke VX3500 combo that I'll shortly be advertising, in very good condition and 350w.

Edited by cameltoe

Cheers guys, I think I am going to be opting for the EB Combo, I used to use a HArtke cabinet and I liked the punch from the aluminium speakers.

I used to use a Trace combo in my early days, I found it Ok but generally had to compromise a bit too much between clarity punch and low end for my liking.

[quote name='Supertim' post='893697' date='Jul 13 2010, 01:39 PM']Cheers guys, I think I am going to be opting for the EB Combo[/quote]

I am considering this same amp as my first bass amp (top of my list so far), so would be interested to see how you like it.