Why become a member? ×

Hard compressor?

M4L666

Just got a new band in which I slap and pop a lot, and at practice I noticed my highs are a bit lacking when I go slap from fingerstyle. But when we played a gig, the bassist had some kind of beastly compressor (that sadly I couldn't see) which really brought out all of the notes I played really well.
So I'm looking for a really powerful compressor, help plz?

Maybe you should try getting hold of the other bassist through MySpace or whatever?
Anyway, check Bongomania's compressor review site - [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/"]http://www.ovnilab.com/[/url]
It sounds like the Markbass Compressore might be good for your needs.

[quote name='M4L666' post='892120' date='Jul 11 2010, 06:03 PM']Just got a new band in which I slap and pop a lot, and at practice I noticed my highs are a bit lacking when I go slap from fingerstyle. But when we played a gig, the bassist had some kind of beastly compressor (that sadly I couldn't see) which really brought out all of the notes I played really well.
So I'm looking for a really powerful compressor, help plz?[/quote]

I use your head for rehearsals etc for slappy pop, i just use and old trace smx pedal they come up here quite a lot, I wack the low compress up halfway, no compress the highs you will loose the attack, adjust you gain and nice tight slap sound. These old pedals work great with class d heads, I also have used an EBS pedal with it (it belonged to the studio).

[quote name='M4L666' post='892120' date='Jul 11 2010, 06:03 PM']Just got a new band in which I slap and pop a lot, and at practice I noticed my highs are a bit lacking when I go slap from fingerstyle. But when we played a gig, the bassist had some kind of beastly compressor (that sadly I couldn't see) which really brought out all of the notes I played really well.
So I'm looking for a really powerful compressor, help plz?[/quote]

I use your head for rehearsals etc for slappy pop, i just use and old trace smx pedal they come up here quite a lot, I wack the low compress up halfway, no compress the highs you will loose the attack, adjust you gain and nice tight slap sound. These old pedals work great with class d heads, I also have used an EBS pedal with it (it belonged to the studio).

[quote name='dan670844' post='892325' date='Jul 11 2010, 10:05 PM']I use your head for rehearsals etc for slappy pop, i just use and old trace smx pedal they come up here quite a lot, I wack the low compress up halfway, no compress the highs you will loose the attack, adjust you gain and nice tight slap sound. These old pedals work great with class d heads, I also have used an EBS pedal with it (it belonged to the studio).[/quote]

Try boosting your highs a little as well it will help a lot.

Thanks for the help guys :rolleyes:

Kohpyhn, I think it was compression supplied by the PA, because I plugged straight into a DI box for the gig. I will have a crack at finding him though :)

Dan, is the head Class D? I have no idea about power, xD I'm looking into the Markbass and the EBS, have yet to find a shop with either in stock though :/

[quote name='M4L666' post='893209' date='Jul 12 2010, 09:28 PM']Thanks for the help guys :lol:

Kohpyhn, I think it was compression supplied by the PA, because I plugged straight into a DI box for the gig. I will have a crack at finding him though :)

Dan, is the head Class D? I have no idea about power, xD I'm looking into the Markbass and the EBS, have yet to find a shop with either in stock though :/[/quote]

Thinking of selling my Trace SMX. PM if you're interested. Brilliant compressor. :rolleyes: