Why become a member? ×

EB MM string height/action

Bassulike66

Ok, got myself a 1995 EB MM, black with maple neck...

Struggling with the action at the mo' and a few rattles and buzzes...if i go any lower than the string heights stated below it gets horrible

I realize there's my right hand playing style to take into account also...this can be quite vigorous so to speak :rolleyes:

I tune B,E,A,D with a string gauge of 50-115 heavy..

The measurements on the 12th fret, E /B to underside of string, is around 2.8mm

A (E) string 12th fret 2.2mm.

D (A) string 12th fret 2.0mm

G (D) string 12th fret 2.0mm

Is this a decent action set up for a MM or am i being to picky??

I usually play a Spector Euro 5 LX and the action sits at least 0.2mm lower than the MM... :)

I play with a pick by the way....there i said it lol!

Edited by Bassulike66

Ive never tuned to those notes so cant really help.

I do have a Ray34 and my action is 2mm on the E and G at 12th fret. I also play with a pick. Neck relief is set to .012"

I find on its own, with new strings i get a bit of clank etc but at gigs its not heard. I prefer a lower action with a bit of buzz when i dig in, rather than to struggle with a higher cleaner action.

I set my stingray 5 up using the Lakland setup video off youtube with an 8 thou gap at the 6th fret and about 2mm height at the 12th and it plays perfectly. I am using Elixir 45 to 130 strings. I find that even though you can hear the zing of the frets the audience usually cant. What about using 65 to 130 (bottom 4 of a 5 string set)

[quote name='Monz' post='889301' date='Jul 8 2010, 10:03 AM']I set my stingray 5 up using the Lakland setup video off youtube with an 8 thou gap at the 6th fret and about 2mm height at the 12th and it plays perfectly. I am using Elixir 45 to 130 strings. I find that even though you can hear the zing of the frets the audience usually cant. What about using 65 to 130 (bottom 4 of a 5 string set)[/quote]

yeah, i always use that setup video, its been a life changer. I normally get the manufacturers neck relief spec rather than use Laklands. It works for me.

Thanks for the reply's guy's, much appreciated...

I've checked out the Lakland vid, and the MM website, i found that i can only set it upto the MM standard factory set up.

If it goes a smidge lower then it does get buzzy and rattley....although i can live with the rattle, the buzzing is very pronounced through my rig.

I think i need go away and set it up with a set of 45-100 gauge and re-adjust the neck to suit...(just for peice of mind regarding any possible issues with the neck....

Monz...i did try 65-130, and this did slightly smooth it out a tadge, but the string height was still quite high for my liking.

I've loved these bases ever since i was a nipper, and i would hate to think i can't acheive the set up i require from it... :)

Keep your eyes open on the for sale section.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Bassulike66

As someone said earlier the new string buzz is bad on rays but once the shine goes off them it will improve.The good news is that they sound good for longer once the strings have gone off a bit where other basses need them swapping all the time, Its more a matter of waiting and more importantly playing! Stick at it.

I've just been trying different string gauges and tweaking the trussrod all afternoon, and i just cant get the correct action that i feel comfortable with! :rolleyes:

Absolutely gutted but it's gonna' have to go...it just doesn't give me that aaaaahhhh feeling when playing it. :)

Fleabay here i come!....