Why become a member? ×

Help! Hardware fitting troubles!

Hi there. I'm currently (trying to) doing up my new Squier VMJ. got Hipshot ultralites/d-tuner, wizard 64s, badass III for it....Couple of problems have risen unfortunately.

With the badass III, the 3 holes don't line up perfectly with the existing holes, what's the best solution for this? I was thinking maybe I should keep the existing middle hole an fill in the rest, then drill new ones? I can get the middle screw an the bottom (treble side of bass) screw in, but when I try to screw the top one in, it seems to be hitting something about half way in, I've tried looking into the hole, it sorta looks like there's something metal in the way. Any idea what this could be?

Now the most annoying one...The tuners. While drilling the first hole for the first ultralite, the drill bit broke off inside the headstock! Most irritating. Any ideas for what I can do to sort this out? I don't think I'll be able to get the drill ibt out, as there's hardly anything (we're talking maybe 1/8th of a millimeter, there's something, but nothing I can get a hold of!)) sticking out of the hole. I'm thinking that maybe I should just drill new holes, but this means I'll have to drill them so the tuners are at an angle, sorta warwick style...I've got nothing against this, as I quite like the look of slightly-angled tuners. Only problem with this is I don't know if the d-tuner will fit if it's angled! Anyone know if it'll still work if it's at a slight angle? I can't have the lever hitting into anything :S

Also, I managed to mangle the head of the last screw holding the neck pickup in *sigh* Any ideas of how to get it out now? I thought maybe I could use a small hacksaw or something to create a flathead slot so I could use a flathead screwdriver to get it out, would this work?

Yes, I know what you're thinking, I'm new to this DIY lark! Guess I shouldn't have used my bass a test subject...

Anywho, thanks in advance for any/all advice you can give me!
Jack.

All part of the great learning curve.

1) I'd fill all the bridge holes with little wood dowels + wood glue. the redrill for the new bridge. If you're hitting metal could it be the earthing wire to the bridge that should be routed through the bask end of the bass?

2) broken drill bit: try heating it up with the point of a soldering iron - it will expand then once cooled down you may be able to work it free with tweezers or long-nosed pliers.

3) Small hacksaw to slot the screw head, then remove, ro square off the head with a small file and try to twist it free with pliers.

Good luck!

Should I fill in every hole? Surely leaving the middle one so I know it's centered? Or should I use a drywipe marker (or something else that'll rub off) and mark out where to drill the 3 holes?

Ya know, I haven't even tried using tweezers to get it out yet! I'm such a moron haha.

I think I'll try filing it first, I don't think I even own a hacksaw :S If I do I'll try that first!

Thanks for the help, god knows I need it, haha.
Jack.

If you can't get the bust bit out of the headstock using the soldering iron you could "drill" it out by drilling around it in the right places with a very small drill bit.

You then use a larger drill bit to drill out and make a smooth round hole where the mess is and full using dowel and wood glue.

I did this on a guitar where the strap button sheared off. You can't see any work has been done now unless you remove the strap button.

You'd have to very careful though as ideally you'd want the hole underneath the back of the tuner.

[quote name='SignsOfDelirium_bassist' post='888391' date='Jul 7 2010, 01:27 PM']Should I fill in every hole? Surely leaving the middle one so I know it's centered?[/quote]
Do you know for certain that the new bridge shares exactly same centre hole position as the old one? Both laterally and longitudinally?
Would not do any harm to shove a bit of toothpick down it and a dab of glue so the screw has something to bite on.