Why become a member? ×

Split with the house

Ou7shined

[quote name='G-bitch' post='99467' date='Dec 5 2007, 11:49 AM']Barfly venues are all piss-taking bastards like that if I understand it. They claim to support unsigned local bands but then do things like this and do no promotion. The one in Birmingham is sh*te, they have the cheek to get bands to sell tickets etc. requiring a minimum, offer nothing in terms of payment and they're located outside the city centre so fail to pull in any 'passing trade' punters and make no effort to change this.[/quote]

Totally agree! They contacted us recently as they'd seen we were playing around b'ham, and then had the cheek to say we needed 50+ guaranteed before we could get a gig there. THEY contacted US!! The cheek of it. Places like that take the p**s out of unsigned bands, as do many promoters. Because bands are so desperate for exposure or the credibility of playing those venues, they can get away with it. Annoys me so much.

I agree you shouldn't let them take the mick.

Then again i won't be too sympathetic - tribute/covers bands often rake in more cash in one night than us unsigned original bands do in a 6 months! :-)

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='99359' date='Dec 5 2007, 09:05 AM']I really hope that I never get to the point of being in a covers band where I am doing it all for the money and worry about the pay, the day that happens is the day I never play an instrument again.[/quote]

I would rather play to a crowd of people for nothing than 5 people for £100!

My bands playing the Barfly next Saturday... I`ll ask about and see what I can find out for you.

[quote name='Davetbass' post='101229' date='Dec 8 2007, 12:34 AM']I would rather play to a crowd of people for nothing than 5 people for £100![/quote]
Totally agree with you there... but wouldn't you rather still that if that crowd had paid to get in that a fair share went to the guys putting on the show rather than half going to the venue who will take multiples of that over the bar anyway? :huh:

[quote name='Davetbass' post='101229' date='Dec 8 2007, 12:34 AM']My bands playing the Barfly next Saturday... I`ll ask about and see what I can find out for you.[/quote]
Cheers mate that would be wkd. :) but don't go mentioning any names - I don't want them getting upset with us before we even play there. :huh:

[quote name='Davetbass' post='101229' date='Dec 8 2007, 12:34 AM']I would rather play to a crowd of people for nothing than 5 people for £100![/quote]

No offence but do you work for free in your day job?

If you treat playing as a hobby then fair enough, thats your choice to make and I respect that, but there are too many venues/promotors who think musicians should work for nothing.

[quote name='outsider70' post='101399' date='Dec 8 2007, 04:00 PM']No offence but do you work for free in your day job?

If you treat playing as a hobby then fair enough, thats your choice to make and I respect that, but there are too many venues/promotors who think musicians should work for nothing.[/quote]

It certainly doesn`t feel like a hobby after I`ve helped lug in and set up a 4k EV rig then sound check,then play, then break it all down again and go home at sometime am. Just find it annoying when you`ve done all that work and theres 5 people infront of you because a greedy promoter has overpriced the tickets. Spoils the gig :)

Would just rather enjoy myself than make money! Not too much to ask considering I work like feck all week.