Why become a member? ×

GB Shuttle 6.0 parametric

fatback

Looking seriously now at the Shuttle 6.0, but I can't make out whether the parametric EQ has a fixed or variable bandwidth.

I'll probably be using it for DB in the future, and I'll need a notch cut. Most semi parametrics (fixed q) seem a bit wide for this.

Does anyone know if the Q is variable?

Thanks for ya help

There's no 'Q' adjustment on the Shuttle 6's midrange- just cut/boost and freq. sweep (I used to run one). It might be worth looking at the EA (Euphonic Audio) Doubler if you can stretch your budget a bit further- similar power and weight to the Shuttle but designed (as the name suggests) specifically for bassists who gig on both electric and upright.

Hope this helps!

Et :)

[quote name='Etienne' post='883100' date='Jul 1 2010, 03:50 PM']There's no 'Q' adjustment on the Shuttle 6's midrange- just cut/boost and freq. sweep (I used to run one). It might be worth looking at the EA (Euphonic Audio) Doubler if you can stretch your budget a bit further- similar power and weight to the Shuttle but designed (as the name suggests) specifically for bassists who gig on both electric and upright.

Hope this helps!

Et :)[/quote]

It's the valve pre on the shuttle that's made me look at it, as I like a little bit of grit on the electric. If I buy a Doubler, I'll be carrying a VT1 pedal with p/s that's heavier than the amp :rolleyes: and I'm keen to get weight right down.

My problem is I want it all...

I just got a Shuttle 6 and play both electric and upright. In a previous life I had an EA iAmp, but have never tried the Doubler.

The Shuttle is definitely an electric bass head, and although the upright sound is good, for me it is a little "electric" sounding. The EA by comparison was dry and clinical - perfect for upright but not ballsy enough for electric in a noisy mix.

I always use a Fishman pre for the Upright, so leave the Shuttle EQ pretty much untouched.

At the end of the day its a compromise when doubling. If I had the EA today, I'd take something to fatten the electric bass sound. With the Shuttle (and with my superb GK before that) I take something to clean up the upright.

[quote name='guyl' post='883725' date='Jul 2 2010, 09:57 AM']I just got a Shuttle 6 and play both electric and upright. In a previous life I had an EA iAmp, but have never tried the Doubler.

The Shuttle is definitely an electric bass head, and although the upright sound is good, for me it is a little "electric" sounding. The EA by comparison was dry and clinical - perfect for upright but not ballsy enough for electric in a noisy mix.

I always use a Fishman pre for the Upright, so leave the Shuttle EQ pretty much untouched.

At the end of the day its a compromise when doubling. If I had the EA today, I'd take something to fatten the electric bass sound. With the Shuttle (and with my superb GK before that) I take something to clean up the upright.[/quote]

I take the point about compromise. I think electric has to take priority for me and the valve pre of the shuttle is attractive.

Did you find you could use the Shuttle parametric to help with db feedback or was it useless? I understand the doubler's notch filter is very effective.

[quote name='guyl' post='883924' date='Jul 2 2010, 01:15 PM']I haven't had it long, and always use the Fishman preamp to deal with anything like that.

Sounds like you need to try one yourself![/quote]

nothing to try within a four hour drive :)

That's why I'm torturing so many good BCers with silly Qs :rolleyes:

I'm gonna have to buy everything blind (er... deaf).