Why become a member? ×

Ibanez EDB555

XB26354

I don't know if anyone has tried the wooden Ergodyne models from Ibanez but if not, they're well worth a go.
I've owned a ton of boutique basses and got a used EDB555 recently for £300. I was and am shocked at how good it is.

It has a 2-pce ash body, wenge/bubinga neck, single coil Seymour Duncan/IBZ PUs and a decent 2-band eq.
Deep treble cutaway means you can reach right up to the 24th fret easily.
Not too heavy, substantial but not uncomfortable on a strap or seated. Balance is spot on and the tone is absolutely wicked. B-string is nice and tight and the overall sound has a very Warwick-like growl, if a little more open in the top end.
I'm convinced
Great slap/pick tone from the neck PU and lovely solo/fingerstyle tone from the bridge PU. The PUs are quite a long way apart so tone varies from bright to deep.

Downsides? Control cavity cover badly done and screws weren't evenly placed, but at least the battery is in a proper metal clip.
Single coils are a little noisy when pan is away from centre detent, but no more than the average passive Jazz Bass.
I don't like the pointy headstock or horrible strat-type jack socket, and the smoky metal hardware isn't my cup of tea.

However none of the above is a deal breaker in this price range.
Anyone missing the German Corvette 5-strings - give this a look. They're £500 new (although now seem to come with Jatoba necks) so around a third of a new Pro Series Corvette.
Cheers
Mat