Why become a member? ×

The Hartke 112c Hydrive combo

Marvin

I haven't got much room in chez Marvin but need a louder amp, currently I am scrapping by with a 35w practice amp :) . So I need something small (I haven't the room for large combos or cabs) that will also double up for noodling at home but loud enough for gigs. I'm considering the Hartke 112 Hydrive combo, as it's got all the features i want at 250w.
Does anyone have one? Potentially at the moment a band maybe in the running with a max of 2 guitarists and a drummer (who is actually a sensible bloke and doesn't aim to make as much noise as he inhumanly can). So is it loud enough for the usual pub/club gigs and what's the sound like, I read somewhere you can't get a lot of growl, is that true?

Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

Edited by Marvin

I have no experience with the Hydrive 112, but am currently rocking an A100 15" combo and it is ruddy loud! Just used for its first outting the other night against a loud drummer and two guitarists both with 200W Blackstar head and 2x12 cabs and it had plenty of ooomph. Set at about 4.5 volume, +3 Treble, +3 Bass and a mid boost on the EQ - its was easily loud enough and cutting through a treat!

Growl wise - I can get enough from mine running the current eq and using my Passive through-neck peavey C4. Don't let the "100 Watt" fool you - it punches WAY above its weight. Sound quality is very good for the price tag!

Edited by shosgood

[quote name='shosgood' post='880960' date='Jun 29 2010, 01:58 PM']I have no experience with the Hydrive 112, but am currently rocking an A100 15" combo and it is ruddy loud! Just used for its first outting the other night against a loud drummer and two guitarists both with 200W Blackstar head and 2x12 cabs and it had plenty of ooomph. Set at about 4.5 volume, +3 Treble, +3 Bass and a mid boost on the EQ - its was easily loud enough and cutting through a treat!

Growl wise - I can get enough from mine running the current eq and using my Passive through-neck peavey C4. Don't let the "100 Watt" fool you - it punches WAY above its weight. Sound quality is very good for the price tag![/quote]

Thanks mate, that's rather reassuring. That's a lot of guitar and drum to compete against for just 100w.
I notice you're in Exeter, just down the road from. Hello fellow Devon dweller :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='882253' date='Jun 30 2010, 06:26 PM']I've done a bit of searching around and perhaps the A100 might suit my needs, with the added bonus of being a little cheaper. It gets good reviews and is LOUD.
Thank you.[/quote]

If you're local marvin - you're more than welcome to come and give the a100 a test run before you buy one?

Just drop me a pm.
Steve

[quote name='shosgood' post='882700' date='Jul 1 2010, 08:44 AM']If you're local marvin - you're more than welcome to come and give the a100 a test run before you buy one?

Just drop me a pm.
Steve[/quote]

If I get some time I might take you up on your kind offer. I'm up near Barnstaple.
Thanks
Rich