Why become a member? ×

Do power amps affect the sound of the pre-amp?

ziggydolphinboy

Hi all,

I got a trace elliot gp12smx ra400 head/power/pre together, but i have to link my cabs in a chain, i dont play big venues etc and usually just use my 4x10 but wana go down separate pre/power route.

so i was just wondering does a power amp just power the signal it reicieves or do certain power amps coulour the sound from the pre?

are power amps that special or is it just the amount of power you receive that makes them different in price quality etc.
I want to go down the separate route so as i can power the two cabs individually.

oh and just on a side note are two x10 trace cabs as good as a 4x10?(rated at the same watts).

any thoughts (honest as you like) please.

kindest regards
ziggy.

Generally power amps are designed not to colour the sound, but inevitably they do to an extent. The bit that can disagree with the preamp is the input sensitivity, if the power amp needs 1.5v from the pre to reach full volume, and your pre tops out at 0.75v, its not going to reach the potential of the amp. There are more specs to a power amps than watts also. High pass filtering is also handy.