Why become a member? ×

Tab/notation/chord changes for Nutbush City Limits

johnny_frog

Don't know if this is the right place to post this but... does anyone have a transcription (chord changes/tab/notation... anything) for Nutbush City Limits?

By some miracle I passed an audition for a local covers band and have 15 new songs to learn for a gig in a couple of weeks (my first proper gig since... well... last time I was on stage all this were fields) so I'm flapping around trying to nail the set list. I've managed to find something to work with for everything but Nutbush.

I would just sit with the recording and work something out but I'm really up against it for time.

Any help on this will be gratefully accepted.

Johnny

It's not that hard but note that the bass doesn't start 'til the last line of the first chorus. "They call it Nutbush City Limits"
The band may not have noticed that and may expect you in with the drums. It's worth asking.

Chords:
[url="http://www.megachords.com/piano/music/10320/nutbush-city-limits.htm"]http://www.megachords.com/piano/music/1032...city-limits.htm[/url]

I've played this with bands that just want the root notes all the way through. That works OK and is the simplest approach.
However to add a little style, and to copy the original, note that on the record the bass doubles a part of the keyboard pattern in the verses and plays those swoopy slides before "they call it Nutbush City Limits" in all choruses.
Have fun.

[quote name='johnny_frog' post='873289' date='Jun 21 2010, 10:13 AM']Perfect... that's great :)

I'll put something together around that.

Many thanks OG.[/quote]

You are welcome.

Generally if you want the chords for something then google: "Chordie name of song"

Several sites will come up including Chordie. You can usually find enough clues to get most of the way there ...

It's also worth searching for "name of song bass" on youtube as someone may have done a play along or swift lesson or a decent cover and you can watch what they do.

I usually use Ultimate Guitar etc for tab... and youtube as you suggested.
Hadn't seen Chordie before so that's now on my favourites list.

Just I'm a bit pressed for time to get all of the set list learned as real life keeps interveaning in my playing time.
Luckily there are so many clever helpful people on BC to help with these problems.

Thanks again

[quote name='johnny_frog' post='873430' date='Jun 21 2010, 01:16 PM']I usually use Ultimate Guitar etc for tab... and youtube as you suggested.
Hadn't seen Chordie before so that's now on my favourites list.

Just I'm a bit pressed for time to get all of the set list learned as real life keeps interveaning in my playing time.
Luckily there are so many clever helpful people on BC to help with these problems.

Thanks again[/quote]

Take cheat sheets to the first few rehearsals, make notes of how they [i]actually[/i] play things as they will almost certainly be different to the records.

No one will expect you to be able to play their whole set their way right from the start unless you have a live recording and video of them playing everything :)

tried to put up a simple tab but the note spacing came out all sh*tty I've PM'd ya hope it works in the PM but you should be able to pick it apart easily enough :)

* a wee note its a C note on the e string not C sharp as thats what i accidentally put in - oops not used to trying to write tab :rolleyes:

Edited by krispn