Why become a member? ×

1990 Fender Jazz Bass Offers circa £300

yorks5stringer

:) :rolleyes: :lol: If you are a non smoker ( or have given up) but want to have that cool Mojo, this is the Jazz Bass for you!

As you can see, the headstock has that time houred mark of a ciggy burning down, I would guess during a 12 bar blues?

In the interests of full disclosure, this is the history of this Bass.

I bought the 22 fret neck ( which is date stamped December 1990) from a local music shop, it was lying in a corner, stripped of frets and tuners.
It has been refretted at a local luthier and I sourced authentic 1990 Fender tuners ( notice these are not the type you can get cheap copies of) from the USA at considerable cost.

In an effort to keep it authentic, it has genuine Fender Geddy Lee pickups, CTS solid brass shafted pots with cloth covered wiring, a Sprague or Orange Drop capacitor (can't remember which), Switchcraft socket and control knobs of the period too, although these are not genuine Fender. The black and white scratchplate is again a genuine 1990 Fender item although the Tort one is not, but it will come with them both anyway. The nut was hand made at the luthiers from bone too. The bridge is a Wilkinson in black with solid brass bridge pieces.

It sounds really ballsy with all the trade mark Jazz Bass tones and plays really well, as I said it had a set up at a local luthiers once all the parts came together.

The body however is not genuine Fender, and was sourced from a fellow Basschatter, as were some of the other parts.

It is however an alder body and due to the 22 fret Fender neck, has had the neck pocket routed slightly ( again at the luthiers) to accept it. Consequently the original bridge position has had to be moved forward to keep the scale length so there are 5 holes in the body where the bridge used to be. These are shown in the photo filled and drop filled with paint and a bridge ashtray ( not Fender!) comes with the Bass which covers the holes anyway.

There are a few scratches but no dings on the body although some of the original paint was chipped around the neck pocket before it came into my possession, this has been touched in with black felt tip and is hardly noticable.

So if you want a pristine 1990 Jazz Bass for £300 this is not for you, but if you want a really nice Jazz Bass with Mojo that sounds, plays and looks great , then send me a PM!

P.S. It comes with straps locks which I'll throw in for the price too.

I'm coming down to London on the 25th to see Stevie Wonder in Hyde Park, so I'd be prepared to bring it down and meet with anyone not based in the frozen North!
[attachment=52435:S5000202.JPG]
[attachment=52436:S5000203.JPG]
[attachment=52437:S5000204.JPG]
[attachment=52438:S5000205.JPG]
[attachment=52439:S5000206.JPG]
[attachment=52440:S5000208.JPG]
[attachment=52445:S5000201.JPG] Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='captain black' post='870047' date='Jun 17 2010, 05:25 PM']Does bringing the bridge forward alter the tone much?
I'm, thinking 70's bridge pickup positioning and all that.[/quote]

I've not had the opportunity to do a comparison: why don't you buy it and see? :)

I'll give you your money back if it doesn't sound like a 1990 Fender Jazz Bass played by me!