Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

trace elliot GP12 SMX keeps cutting out

kenthebass

hi everyone,

i got a trace elliot [b]GP12 SMX 4x10 combo[/b].. i did a gig and it just cut out half way through the night, it stays lit up though.. next day it seemed fine.

the next time i used it, it did the same thing.. i turned it off and on again and it made a screaming noise.

next day it seemed fine.. so it seems to stop working after so long.. maybe half an hour.

the fan is working so i don't think its over-heating.

i've had a look inside and there's nothing obvious wrong, the valve is lit and it's pretty new anyway so i know its not a valve problem.

can anyone suggest what this could be, has anyone had this problem with their rig..

thanks, ken

[quote name='witterth' post='866453' date='Jun 13 2010, 09:18 PM']Actually the "screaming noise" you talk about suggests it could be a valve Ken, lit or not.
they can be quite tempermental bugg#rs at times.
I'd get it down the Doctors if I were you!!
replacement valves arent that dear by the way.[/quote]

thanks for that witterth,

can faulty valves make amps cut out too? it does work without the valve inserted if i turn knob to solid state

Edited by kenthebass

[quote name='kenthebass' post='866431' date='Jun 13 2010, 09:08 PM']hi everyone,

i got a trace elliot [b]GP12 SMX 4x10 combo[/b].. i did a gig and it just cut out half way through the night, it stays lit up though.. next day it seemed fine.

the next time i used it, it did the same thing.. i turned it off and on again and it made a screaming noise.

next day it seemed fine.. so it seems to stop working after so long.. maybe half an hour.

the fan is working so i don't think its over-heating.

i've had a look inside and there's nothing obvious wrong, the valve is lit and it's pretty new anyway so i know its not a valve problem.

can anyone suggest what this could be, has anyone had this problem with their rig..

thanks, ken[/quote]

Yep sounds like the valve, get a Harma retro cryo in there, they sound very nice, and yes i couldn't believe the valve has such an effect on play in a solid state amp even if you aren't using it.

[quote name='kenthebass' post='866498' date='Jun 13 2010, 09:39 PM']thanks for that witterth,

can faulty valves make amps cut out too? it does work without the valve inserted if i turn knob to solid state[/quote]
Id say most certainly a valve issue,and they can cause all sorts of mayhem if you get a "bad" one. there is a thing about valves thats like light bulbs (IMO) some run,and run,and run forever some just.. go... and thats it.
because they are like big power storage things and are effectivley quite an old technology they do just "messup" once in a while.
its cos they make Bass amps sound SO GOOD that manufacturers still use them.
If you want to replace one yourself btw, treat a valve like a halogeon bulb for your car IE no touchy touchy with bare hands
no expert but it is informed waffle!!
W

[quote name='witterth' post='866606' date='Jun 13 2010, 11:23 PM']Id say most certainly a valve issue,and they can cause all sorts of mayhem if you get a "bad" one. there is a thing about valves thats like light bulbs (IMO) some run,and run,and run forever some just.. go... and thats it.
because they are like big power storage things and are effectivley quite an old technology they do just "messup" once in a while.
its cos they make Bass amps sound SO GOOD that manufacturers still use them.
If you want to replace one yourself btw, treat a valve like a halogeon bulb for your car IE no touchy touchy with bare hands
no expert but it is informed waffle!!
W[/quote]

The valve stage is there as an effect on these amps, so it will have no effect on the amp if switched out. It's possible that the cables that connect the PCB.s together are the problem, the plugs can give problems when they age. Removing the plugs and soldering the leads directly to the PCB's is the best solution.

okay, thanks everyone for all the advice.. if i had the money i'd have it straight in some experts hands.. but i'm skint so knowing a bit about electronics i thought i'd have a look into it myself..

one thing i found out is, the valve is an 'input' valve. it's always glowing even if i switch knob to solid state.. so maybe it can play a part in my amp cutting out i suppose, if there's a problem with input i aint gonna get output and another thing about my amp is the input knob has to be full on just to get in the amber light mode so there is something wrong with the input stage AND the input valve is integral there.

the screaming noise i heard suggests there could be a problem with the valve, so i may as well get a another one anyway (ordered one from watford valves and should arrive tomorrow)

i'm gonna put a new valve in and tomorrow night i got a final rehearsal before a gig so i'm gonna push it for a couple of hours and see what happens..

if the valve doesn't arrive i'm gonna take it out for rehearsal without a valve in it and switch knob to solid state.. if the amp works fine it'll still tell me it was a valve prob.

if i get a new valve in and it fu*ks up on me i'll just have to save up and get it to the menders... i got my fingers crossed it's just the valve prob

i will let you know what happens folks..

[quote name='BanditSid' post='866631' date='Jun 13 2010, 11:47 PM']... It's possible that the cables that connect the PCB.s together are the problem, the plugs can give problems when they age. Removing the plugs and soldering the leads directly to the PCB's is the best solution.[/quote]
That's what happened to mine. That's how it was cured, too.