Why become a member? ×

5-string Jazz, where?

Hi all, pretty new here...I asked this over at talkbass, but what with them all being in the states, it was pretty pointless come to think of it...

So yes, on with it! I've been wanting a 5string jazz for a while now! I'd rather get a cheap squire or something, I plan to mod it. I love the sound of SD jazz pups, not so much a fan of the fender stock ones. I was also planning on dropping a badass bridge an hipshot tuners in.

So here's my problem, I live in London, unfortunately haven't got a car or anything, so I'm limited to public transport (huzzah...). I don't know of anywhere that actually stocks 5string jazz basses besides the bass cellar at denmark street...And I've had enough less-than-enjoyable experiences with them to know that I'd rather not set foot in that store again. The Bass Gallery is really close to me, but unfortunately they don't appear to have any cheap 5string jazzes in stock, at least not according to their website...I've gotta go in for some maintenance on my 6string soon anyway, so I'll have a poke around just in case...

Does anyone know of any shops (Preferably somewhere that won't turn me away just because I'm young...I realise that young people tend to mistreat instruments, but it's still annoying to get treated like some mindless yob who doesn't understand that perhaps playing Higher Ground 50 billion times in a row isn't very nice, I don't even know how to play that dammed song!) that would stock such an item?

I've looked into buying them online, but I really wanna try it out first, gotta find those dead spots so I don't get surprised by them! speaking of which, are the 5strings as prone to the dead spot on the 5-7th fret on the G as much as the 4stringers?

Thanks for any/all help!
Jack.

You could try 'The Gallery'. I see they have a couple of Fender 5 Strings in stock. Check them out on line here......

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/Product_list.cfm?Cat_ID=1&type=Bass%20Guitar&Strings=5"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/Product_list...r&Strings=5[/url]

142 Royal College Street,
London NW1 0TA.
Tel/Fax:+44 207 267 5458

I hope this helps.

Thanks, sorry but that's what I meant by the bass gallery >.> They have some nice 5 string jazz's in there, but no cheap ones. I would try out the higher models, but I can't really afford to buy an expensive jazz just so I can rip out pretty much everything, lol. I'm beginning to think that I might have too though...maybe I could just sell my current 5string to get some of the money back, hehe.