Why become a member? ×

Buffers in pre amps...

The Burpster

DH,

There is a thread in (repairs IIRC) about a BCer that has got some new pups, and they have an extra earth when output.

When he has contacted the maker, they have quoted that the extra earth is for on-board pre-amps with a buffer. I have a rough idea what a buffer does, but my question to you is:-

Have you any idea why some new on-board pre-amps have one built in? and assuming that most amps pre amp stages have one, or seperate pre amps have one, what would there be to gain by having one in the bass?

Bob.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='93156' date='Nov 23 2007, 08:07 AM']DH,

There is a thread in (repairs IIRC) about a BCer that has got some new pups, and they have an extra earth when output.

When he has contacted the maker, they have quoted that the extra earth is for on-board pre-amps with a buffer. I have a rough idea what a buffer does, but my question to you is:-

Have you any idea why some new on-board pre-amps have one built in? and assuming that most amps pre amp stages have one, or seperate pre amps have one, what would there be to gain by having one in the bass?

Bob.[/quote]

I think they are taking about a balanced load buffer and putting one in the bass will reduce the noise and help match the impedance.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...