Why become a member? ×

Itching for an Aguilar DB750, but...

risingson

...has anyone A/B'd them with the DB751 yet at all? I know that people have mentioned that they're not mad on the looks (although I'm kind of indifferent) of the 751 but I can't imagine they're all that different?

In any case, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either. The servicing, for example, how often they get theirs sorted out, rack protection, how it records in a studio invironment direct, etc. Practical issues basically. I play a lot and we're often in transit to one side of the country or the other, and I need to know just how reliable they are. My Eden rig has just been a powerhouse, but I need a change and I'm thinking the DB750/1 is the way to go.

Any help massively appreciated, won't take the dive until I'm satisfied it's gonna hold up! :)

Thanks, Liam

Only used a DB750 - some say that the 751 has a more versatile and improved eq (though some of the components are less expensive). The 750 racks very neatly (mine's in an Agi 3u rack bag). One downside is the weight - around 46lbs. I've been inside mine to fit a UK 240v switch - it's beautifully engineered, extremely neat, and very solid. The chassis is really well built. Agi guarantee the DB750 for ten years - I think that's some indication of the company's confidence in road reliability. I've not had my 750 serviced - valves are in the pre stage only. I can't imagine it's too troublesome - the lid (top of the amp) has a lot of screws (about 20 I think) but when you've removed them, you can get access to all major components without much trouble.

Thanks for this. The weight isn't too much of a problem, as long as I've got a portable cab, I was going to look to Epifani for a lightweight solution really, or maybe Bergantino. I've got an Eden 410XLT but it weighs a ton and is a bit of a nightmare to get it into venues that aren't too easily accessible.

Some of the guys on Talkbass report poor results with the Agi DB750 and Epi pairing (apparently, the two aren't particularly compatible). I've only used the 750 with an Epi ul112 at fairly low volume - no problem at all, it sounds gorgeous

Cheers lozbass! I actually take a lot of the stuff on Talkbass with a pinch of salt, not that their opinions aren't worth it but that I've found in the past some members to be pretty single-minded about gear, notably Eden stuff, which I happen to love. Having said that the site remains a cool resource which I often use.

The Epi was just an idea, I was looking to lightweight solutions. Anyone run the DB750 with a Bergantino cab at all?

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='845900' date='May 23 2010, 05:39 PM']Cheers lozbass! I actually take a lot of the stuff on Talkbass with a pinch of salt, not that their opinions aren't worth it but that I've found in the past some members to be pretty single-minded about gear, notably Eden stuff, which I happen to love. Having said that the site remains a cool resource which I often use.

The Epi was just an idea, I was looking to lightweight solutions. Anyone run the DB750 with a Bergantino cab at all?[/quote]

+1 i've seen alot of threads involving people complaining about how scooped a cab sounds, then someone further down the page saying how mid rangey it sounds.