Why become a member? ×

Sunn 300t Vs. Sunn 1200s

blackparkas

Well, I´m a proud owner of a Sunn 300T from the late 90´s and it´s sticking, not replacing it EVER!
But since I have the 300T at the rehersal studio and have some gigs that I want to have lighter gear, I also have a small rig at home so I don´t have to go up and get the Sunn/Marshall-rig all the time.

I now use a Mesa Boogie Basis M 2000 that I am pretty satisfied with, byt I can´t help missing the Sunn everytime I gig with something else...

So...

Does the Sunn 1200S from the 90´s sound anything like the 300T?

It seems to have the same Preamp, EQ and Compressor that the 300 has and probably the same tube in the preamp (or maybe there´s no tube at all!?)
So it SHOULD sound something like the 300 i would think... but... does it?

Would be really sweet to find a 1200s and replace the Mesa, even though the M2000 is a really great amp, I still like the Sunn better.
But since the 300T is all tube and the 1200s is Solid State, the should be differences of course....

The Sunn 1200S does have a tube preamp, it is the same pre as the 300T. Only used the 1200s so not idea how similar the sound is, can't imagine it being very different. It is still a heavy beast though. Awesome sub lows and a great compressor sound about right. It is JoeGarcia's main amp, although he always uses at least one in addition, check out his stuff for some idea.