Why become a member? ×

Evah Weichs

TPJ

Just changed my strings for the first time in 2 1/2 years. I had Innovation Honeys on there. They still sounded good to me but were getting a bit boomy for a few projects. They where heaven for the bluegrass though. It took me a few weeks of hemming and hawing and reading before deciding on Evah Weichs. Initial thoughts are they are much thinner physically than the Honeys. Never realised how used to the big strings I had become. In a way I miss the mass. After letting them settle for a few hours and then playing them for a few more hours I hear a distinct difference. They are much clearer than the Honeys where when I took them off. The tone is only marginally brighter which is good because I like a dark tone and not a bright twangy one. I wish I had recorded the Honeys when they where first on the bass to get a better comparison. I can't remember back that far and one tends to get used to the tone even though it's changing over time. Still not sure if I should have bought the mediums instead of the weichs. I don't mind a bit of tension as it gives you something to dig in to. I'm hoping that my bass has retained it's lowend. I'll know later in the week when we play some bluegrass. It's impossible to tell with "front room" playing.

I have an acoutic rehearsal tomorrow, a gig tomorrow night and Monday night. Kind of looking forward to it to see how these strings perform. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by TPJ

UPDATE:

Had an acoustic rehearsal yesterday afternoon and an amplified gig last night. The chap I played with at the rehearsal noticed the bass was way less boomy and the note definition was more clear. Similar comments at the gig.

I'm really struggling with the action height and associated tension. I thought I had it right based on the afternoon session but then I screwed around with the adjusters and mucked it up :) At the gig the action was too low and the strings felt flabby. I had lowered the bridge one whole wheel turn. I then ramped it back up and it felt too high and too much tension. These strings change a lot with not much adjustment. I'm getting nearer.

I do like the feel of the strings so far and the tone seems good on my bass. Another gig tonight playing pop/rock classics.

[quote name='TPJ' post='846400' date='May 24 2010, 12:03 PM']UPDATE:

I'm really struggling with the action height and associated tension. I thought I had it right based on the afternoon session but then I screwed around with the adjusters and mucked it up :) At the gig the action was too low and the strings felt flabby. I had lowered the bridge one whole wheel turn. I then ramped it back up and it felt too high and too much tension. These strings change a lot with not much adjustment. I'm getting nearer.

I do like the feel of the strings so far and the tone seems good on my bass. Another gig tonight playing pop/rock classics.[/quote]

Just something I want to point out here, even though it seems counter-intuitive: tension on the strings is actually lower with higher action. Think about it like this: if you raised the bridge, the pitch of the strings would go up, right? That would be because the tension was higher which raises the pitch. To get the strings back to the same pitch with higher action, you actually have to decrease the tension on them. What may feel like "tension" is more likely associated with the different playing techniques associated with the height of the action.

Personally I've never bothered too much about action unless it's REALLY high or REALLY low - once it's ok I just forget about it and get on with the other things (all of which I'm horrible at, btw and why I stopped trying to be a professional player)

[quote name='harmonicon' post='847111' date='May 25 2010, 02:27 AM']Just something I want to point out here, even though it seems counter-intuitive: tension on the strings is actually lower with higher action. Think about it like this: if you raised the bridge, the pitch of the strings would go up, right? That would be because the tension was higher which raises the pitch. To get the strings back to the same pitch with higher action, you actually have to decrease the tension on them. What may feel like "tension" is more likely associated with the different playing techniques associated with the height of the action.

Personally I've never bothered too much about action unless it's REALLY high or REALLY low - once it's ok I just forget about it and get on with the other things (all of which I'm horrible at, btw and why I stopped trying to be a professional player)[/quote]

All I know is turning the adjuster wheels a half turn to lower things and the string tension is spot on. I'm like you where I try to set it and forget it, it's just getting the initial setting :)

Bluegrass tonight with no amps in a room I'm familiar with so we'll see how these strings stand up acoustically

[quote name='Steve Amadeo' post='847458' date='May 25 2010, 01:19 PM']TPJ what pickup and amplification do you use?[/quote]

K&K Bassmax into and AI Focus 1 hooked to an Aguilar GS112. I might try it into a recently acquired Mesa Walkabout 12.

I'm possibly looking at getting either a Full Circle or an APTflex to replace the K&K.

Update:

Played bluegrass for 3 hours last night. The sound was fairly full and clear but there didn't seem to be the same pop to the note like the Honeys had, and not quite the presence. I miss the shear size of the Honeys, I could really grab hold of them ( I'm a bit of a brutish player :) ).
I'm curious to see how they wear, they reportedly get stiffer with age which may be just the ticket.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd make an update after reading this post in another thread:

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='949435' date='Sep 8 2010, 02:00 PM']I don't suppose you've tried evah pirazzis?

I'm looking for a replacement for them at the moment. I like the dark sound and the way they bow, but they are very high tension and I'd like to slap them more. Also the biggest down-side for me is that they seem to have almost no pizz sustain on the E and A which makes intonation really tricky sometimes. In terms of the thump/sustain, do you know how this set compare to evahs?[/quote]

I'm finding the same problem with the Evah's on my bass, and the low end on the E and A string has suffered as well. The tension across most of the strings is starting to get bothersome. Last night we listened to some recordings made before the string change. There were intricate runs that I just can't do now :)

I'm trying to decide what to do, f*ck about with the action, get some different strings for the E and A, or swap the whole set out. I haven't tried Spiro Mitts on this bass yet. Wondering if I should try that.

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='TPJ' post='949529' date='Sep 8 2010, 03:40 PM']I'm trying to decide what to do, f*ck about with the action, get some different strings for the E and A, or swap the whole set out. I haven't tried Spiro Mitts on this bass yet. Wondering if I should try that.[/quote]

I had wondered about leaving the D and G on and trying some more bright/modern sounding strings on the E and A, but while I like the sound of the D and G they are just too tight to slap. And I'm worried about ending up with mis-matching tension between the mixed set of strings. I'd like to try the evah weichs (mine are the mediums) to see how the tension is but I'm concerned that this won't fix the pizz sustain issue.

It's hard work trying to figure this stuff out, I sympathise with you.

Edited by thisnameistaken

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update.

The BassMax pup had some problem so I replaced it with a Full Circle. My bass already had adjusters so no great shakes installing the Full Circle except for the holes in the top portion of the bridge feet (non threaded side) needed deepening by a few mil. to accmodate the FC adjuster posts. I had to take the bridge to my luthier and leave it with him for a few days whilst I was away for work. Right before the install, the bass was just singing...nice big tone, string height great, string tension perfect. All was great.

Now, after loosening the strings and leaving them loose for 4 days, they settled back in to tune quick enough but the tension is really stiff. It's been tuned for over a week or so and several nights worth of playing done but the strings just won't loosen up.

Anyone noticed this about these strings in particular?