Why become a member? ×

Structuring ideas help / Songwriting

shiekaa

Hey all,

Just looking for some peoples opinions and how they can fix a dilemma I have been having for a while;

I write a hell of a lot of metal style music, I have aboslutely no problem churning out riff after riff and progression after progression, I write drums and guitar for it aswell. I've recently sort of found my unique sound for writing and am happy with it.

However despite having many ideas I can't seem to structure them together to make a song I'm happy with.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist but I just can't seem to grasp how to get ideas to link together and form something that sounds great rather than ideas clumped together.

I've been seeking a second guitarist for a while to help me with writing as the one I have doesen't write, he just seems to be good at improving what I have already done haha.

The bottom line is I want nice transitions rather than idea after idea.

Anyone help?

Cheers,

Sam

One way I've seen used to good effect in sludge and metal is to link two riffs by coming up with a sort of intermediary riff that combines elements of both riffs, and stick it in between them. Works best when the two riffs to be linked have a fair amount of common ground to start with.

My brother's a genius at this, he normally feels it though, no theory. he has it all in his head and plays around on the guitar until there's a match. IME it's best not to be playing your instrument at the time, feel it, sing it in your head, you'll get a truer reflection of YOU that way.

Good luck.