Why become a member? ×

How to wire your cabs?

howieee

Last week i finally managed to get my hands on an Ampeg SVT VR! i absolutely love it. it sounds amazing!

Iv just seen a thread on BC and someone was saying that wiring your cabs in series would put excessive strain on the amp. i assume series is the way that i use.... i go from the head to the 410 (8ohms) to the other cab 115 (8ohms)
(the amp itself can take 4 and 2 ohms)

my amp has a single speakon output and 2 jack outputs. i use the speakon output and wire it as iv said above. is this safe or am i better off getting 2 jack cables and using the 2 jack outputs and going to each 8ohm cab separately? what are the differences or arn`t there any!?

thanks!

It depends on how the cabs are wired internally. Some will run in series when plugged one into another and others will be parallel. If the cabs run parallel then 4 ohms is spot on. In series its 16ohms so will be too high.
Im sure the Ampeg site has an FAQ section that will tell you whether the cabs run series or parallel when daisy chained. If they are Ampeg cabs that is. Otherwise just check the site of whoever makes them.

Edited by TankJon

[quote name='TankJon' post='840320' date='May 17 2010, 10:36 PM']It depends on how the cabs are wired internally. Some will run in series when plugged one into another and others will be parallel. If the cabs run parallel then 4 ohms is spot on. In series its 16ohms so will be too high.
Im sure the Ampeg site has an FAQ section that will tell you whether the cabs run series or parallel when daisy chained. If they are Ampeg cabs that is. Otherwise just check the site of whoever makes them.[/quote]

yeh they are the classic series ampeg cabs. 8ohms each. ill check it out. thanks!

[quote name='TankJon' post='840320' date='May 17 2010, 10:36 PM']It depends on how the cabs are wired internally. Some will run in series when plugged one into another and others will be parallel. If the cabs run parallel then 4 ohms is spot on. In series its 16ohms so will be too high.[/quote]
Yep, wiring the cabs: Head > Cab #1 > Cab #2 will be daisy-chaining them in [b][i]parallel[/i][/b]. No different to wiring them Head > Cab #1 and Head > Cab #2 - the Speakons and jacks on the back of the cabs and the head will all be wired in parallel.

So what that means is: the cabs are both 8 Ohms so the head will see a 4 Ohm load.

Best to use the Speakons, though. The jacks are not serious connectors for the high power you'll likely be delivering to the cabs, so use something like 2.5mm sq or better, 4mm sq twin-core cable for the interconnects.

HTH, Ian

EDIT: Just seen your last post! :)

Edited by Bottle

also i just saw a video on youtube of a guy who plugs his bass into normal input on channel one and then plugs a jack from the bright channel 1 into the normal channel two! is he insane or is he fine doing that? it sounded very nice!

[quote name='howieee' post='840365' date='May 17 2010, 11:31 PM']also i just saw a video on youtube of a guy who plugs his bass into normal input on channel one and then plugs a jack from the bright channel 1 into the normal channel two! is he insane or is he fine doing that? it sounded very nice![/quote]
Yep, the Channel #1 Normal and Bright jacks are probably only connected with an RC network to roll off the bass somewhat, so that Channel #2 can be blended with Channel #1 using the individual Volume controls - nice way of doing it.

HTH, Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='840377' date='May 17 2010, 11:42 PM']Yep, the Channel #1 Normal and Bright jacks are probably only connected with an RC network to roll off the bass somewhat, so that Channel #2 can be blended with Channel #1 using the individual Volume controls - nice way of doing it.

HTH, Ian[/quote]

am i likely to wear down anything by doing this. i mean obviously im now going to be using all the preamp tubes i supose..... and will it be ok to try plugging bright 1 into bright 2 just to see how that sounds.

im just a tad scared of blowing my amp up!.... i don`t have the knowledge or money to repair it!