Why become a member? ×

german double basses on Fleabay

BobVbass

I have seen these and they look visually interesting but it seems we are all caught up in this mythology around new and 'cheap' basses (i.e. anything under £2K - when did that sum start meaning cheap? :) ). 'Buy an old bass and get a luthier to work on it', says everyone. Oh and that'll be another £600. :rolleyes: But then someone else tells us that they bought their bass for £350, changed the strings and now its got a massive sound :lol:

Add all the 'ebay horror stories' to the list and we are all left incapable of making a decision!!

Can anyone she any light on these Gedo basses and put us 'newbies' out of our misery? :lol:

[quote name='Bilbo' post='835337' date='May 12 2010, 02:51 PM']I have seen these and they look visually interesting but it seems we are all caught up in this mythology around new and 'cheap' basses (i.e. anything under £2K - when did that sum start meaning cheap? :) ). 'Buy an old bass and get a luthier to work on it', says everyone. Oh and that'll be another £600. :rolleyes: But then someone else tells us that they bought their bass for £350, changed the strings and now its got a massive sound :lol:

Add all the 'ebay horror stories' to the list and we are all left incapable of making a decision!!

Can anyone she any light on these Gedo basses and put us 'newbies' out of our misery? :lol:[/quote]
I can't speak from expereince of their cheaper models but I have one of their 'Solid State' basess i.e. all solid wood - cost around £1500.
Came with a decent soft case and basic bow, shipped to me in 4 days - good service.

I've already posted various comments and several pix on this on another thread:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=77602&pid=766332&st=20&#entry766332"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry766332[/url]

(several posts from March 2- March 6 as you scroll down).

Also gives the info that Gedo Musik gave me on the quality of the different basses in theri range, so I won't repeat myself.

If it's not enoughthat I like the bass, my teacher was pretty impressed at what I'd got for the money, and he should know - he's principal bass at Covent Garden and a Professor at the Royal College - the bass sounds much better when he plays it!

[quote name='bob_pickard' post='835325' date='May 12 2010, 02:30 PM']Hi

Anyone tried any of those basses from eth german company on ebay at all? They seem to be from www.gedo-musik.de? Seem fair value...?[/quote]

Yes - I recently bought one of their fully laminated models. It's a 3/4 but with a 108cm scale. I was going to get a hybrid but for jazz a laminate produces a clearer, simpler sound for me. It plays really well, it's loud and has opened up well now that i have given it a good bowing. I did have to do some work on it - taking the nut down, recarving the bridge ( it will need a decent harder one eventually). It has a good quality ebony neck - very good for the price. It's fully veneered with flamed maple and good spruce which makes it look much more expensive than it was. The only issue has been that it has developed a buzz where the treble side, top block meets the top. I'll cure this by using a brush on a wire to apply some hide glue and clamp it closed - not a big issue. The cover is a bit cheap/thin but a new one can be had for around £100. Because of the long scale, the cover supplied was rather tight, but Gedo supplied a 4/4/ one free of charge - but this was too big, so I'll need to buy a more substantial cae that fits better. The strings are not to bad actually, but I'll probably replace them soon with Innovation Honeys - but they're good enough to keep as spares.
So all in all, very good value for money, though you'll probably need to allow for new strings, a decent case, and a setup - if you can't do it yourself. I'll be happy to gig with it.