Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Uncle Tom's Cabin

Hot Tub

Before I smash my gear up and go back to crochet, could someone please help me?

I've attached (hopefully!) a pdf with tab and score for this bassline, but it just doesn't make sense! For example, at the start of the 2nd verse (where the band comes in), the score says E, tab says 2nd fret of E string, which would be F#, but all I do know is that it is actually Eb. Etc., etc....

I don't know enough to transpose this, I can't find an explanation on YouTube, or anywhere else.

This is a really simple song, which Mrs HT loves, and I'm really struggling. As in stumped. Totally.

Can anyone help?

[attachment=49484:Warrant_...ms_Cabin.pdf]

I don't know the song,so can only go by looking at the chart. There are a few low D's written,
and so the Tab is written as though you are in drop D-therefor the 2nd fret is indeed an E.

Edit...Of course if you are using a 5 string you can stay in standard tuning and play the low D's on the B string,
thus ignoring the Tab-which can only be a good thing :)

Edited by Doddy

If you look at bar 49, the note D is marked on the TAB as an open string. So clearly the person who wrote this score is assuming you have tuned your E string down to D. That then explains all the other notes that look odd on the TAB. A "G" marked as 5th fret on the E string for instance.

As the written notes make far more sense, I would encourage you to learn to read music properly.

I've recently started a "Getting Started with Music Reading" Series on my Bass Boot Camp, which is pinned at the top of this forum.
Go straight to Sessions 20 onwards. It starts nice and easy, and if you work with me over the next few months as we get more and more detailed, you will be reading like a pro in no time !

The Major

Thanks folks!

Major - I am going to have a go at this. I think what's confusing me is trying to play something written for drop-D tuning, on a standard-tuned 5 string. Sure, I have the low D, but it's not where the written music thinks it is.... if that makes sense!

:)

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='834728' date='May 11 2010, 09:34 PM']I think what's confusing me is trying to play something written for drop-D tuning, on a standard-tuned 5 string. Sure, I have the low D, but it's not where the written music thinks it is.... if that makes sense![/quote]

Errrrr......... :)

This is another reason why I have a problem with becoming reliant on Tab. The low D is written correctly,so there are no
problems there. The only place where a problem/confusion begins to occur is in the Tab. If you have a solid knowledge
of the fingerboard and even a basic knowledge of the stave, then a problem like this would be solved very quickly.
(I'm speaking in general terms here,not specifically to you Hot Tub.) Also,by following the Tab you are looking at two staves
at once-one for fingering,one for rhythm. If you get some basic reading chops you will have all the information available
to you in one stave.
Sorry to derail slightly,but whenever I see people getting confused about things like this when I'm teaching,it is often the Tab
which is the source of the problem.

Well funny to see this song here. Brings back the memories. Bought the cd back in '90 as a teen and rocked out to it.

I have to say I think this transcription is all wrong. The notes might be right (cant be bothered to check but I did plug the bass and dug out the cd) but the tab is all out of place. Also the indication that this song has one note sharp is on the wrong line (sorry cant remember all the theory names for this) but this is indicating that this song is in G (1*#) which should be the F# but it does not indicate F.

But anyway. Warrant tuned down 1/2 step on this album (cant comment on any other since I only bought this one) like so many bands do. From that time I can mention Guns N Roses and Alice in Chains to name but 2 big ones.

There is no low D in this song so the lowest note is the open E (Eb) when you tune down 1/2 step.

I would forget this tab and tune the bass down and just use your ears. Good practice if you like.

Hope this makes sense but I felt like i had to comment on one of the old songs I used to rock out to as a teen.

And also I would just echo what the two guys recommending reading say. I have been playing 20 years and learning to read is the best thing I did. You can learn more difficult songs easily. Thats how I got Jaco and Jamerson nailed. Can not recommend reading enough.

Cheers

Edited by bassbora