Why become a member? ×

Mod to a Fender P5 Deluxe,changing the preamp

bassmanady

I have recently bought a Fender P5 deluxe that i am very happy with,...but not so much the preamp, so i am thinking of changing it with a John East U-RETRO 01 Deluxe

Anyone use one of these,opinions and advise please

Thanks Ady

Edited by bassmanady

I use two on Jazz 5 strings so the J model not the U model. I think they are the same, but the J comes on a J plate.

Extremely verstaile and powerful...so much so that most people I know who use them..set the amp for the room and don't touch it thereafter. They then use the onboard pre for all variations.

Big bass control but boast only even though the pot is indented, treble with presense push-pull which can cut your head off...there is probably too much there, in reality, and the mid sweep, which is very powerful.

Of course, you have volume and pickup select and presense for the passive option which I think is great and you don't lose too much volume in that emergency.

Run it at 18v as I believe the 9V version sucks all the battery power if run with the volume fully open..
I haven't changed my batts in my 18v basses for 6 months whereas the 9v hardly lasts 2 weeks..IME.

This is some pre amp IMV.

[quote name='JTUK' post='832146' date='May 9 2010, 01:10 PM']I use two on Jazz 5 strings so the J model not the U model. I think they are the same, but the J comes on a J plate.

Extremely verstaile and powerful...so much so that most people I know who use them..set the amp for the room and don't touch it thereafter. They then use the onboard pre for all variations.

Big bass control but boast only even though the pot is indented, treble with presense push-pull which can cut your head off...there is probably too much there, in reality, and the mid sweep, which is very powerful.

Of course, you have volume and pickup select and presense for the passive option which I think is great and you don't lose too much volume in that emergency.

Run it at 18v as I believe the 9V version sucks all the battery power if run with the volume fully open..
I haven't changed my batts in my 18v basses for 6 months whereas the 9v hardly lasts 2 weeks..IME.

This is some pre amp IMV.[/quote]
Thanks JTUK,i think i will go for it. and the bass has an 18v pre so will keep it at that,thanks Ady

[quote name='bassmanady' post='833280' date='May 10 2010, 05:19 PM']Thanks JTUK,i think i will go for it. and the bass has an 18v pre so will keep it at that,thanks Ady[/quote]

The info about the 18v V 9v angle is courtesy of BC-er Supabloc who got it from John East direct, I believe. This is a known 'feature'...but since it doesn't apply in your case...good luck.
These are bollocking pre amps, for sure, IMO.