Why become a member? ×

Hola

slowbo

[quote name='slowbo' post='92016' date='Nov 21 2007, 10:03 AM']Expat heaven ?! Nerja on the south coast East of Malaga[/quote]

Sweet. Sun, sea, sand and 45 mins from skiing. I don't know it myself but it looks bootful.

I really like Spanish films. Sometimes I get the impression that the English that trot over take it for granted. Hopefully they embrace it on arrival.

[quote name='paul, the' post='92030' date='Nov 21 2007, 11:31 AM']Sweet. Sun, sea, sand and 45 mins from skiing. I don't know it myself but it looks bootful.

I really like Spanish films. Sometimes I get the impression that the English that trot over take it for granted. Hopefully they embrace it on arrival.[/quote]

I'm afraid they nearly all take it for granted. I'm not so bad cos I speak good Spanish, but the accent is really difficult here. Where I live all the expats have their sattelite dishes trained to get SKY TV. So, they never learn, which is a pity.

[quote name='slowbo' post='92136' date='Nov 21 2007, 01:41 PM']I'm afraid they nearly all take it for granted. I'm not so bad cos I speak good Spanish, but the accent is really difficult here. Where I live all the expats have their sattelite dishes trained to get SKY TV. So, they never learn, which is a pity.[/quote]

That's very cool. When/how did you learn the language?

Learning a new language would be one of my main reasons for moving.

[quote name='paul, the' post='92258' date='Nov 21 2007, 06:45 PM']That's very cool. When/how did you learn the language?

Learning a new language would be one of my main reasons for moving.[/quote]

I learned the rules and grammar at UNI. But it´s like playing an instrument. You can learn all the theory, but people won´t notice until you can actually do something!! When I came here, it was like I´d landed on Mars. Many people come here and pick up the language quickly, but you have to be quite resilient. You have to be able to take rejection from some quarters. The stories that everybody will be delighted to help you are not really true, unless you´re old. If you like Spanish Movies ,try to watch a few with subtitles. You could pick up some useful phrases and Spanish pronunciation rules are really easy. What you write is what you say, not like in English.

[quote name='slowbo' post='92285' date='Nov 21 2007, 06:35 PM']I learned the rules and grammar at UNI. But it´s like playing an instrument. You can learn all the theory, but people won´t notice until you can actually do something!! When I came here, it was like I´d landed on Mars. Many people come here and pick up the language quickly, but you have to be quite resilient. You have to be able to take rejection from some quarters. The stories that everybody will be delighted to help you are not really true, unless you´re old. If you like Spanish Movies ,try to watch a few with subtitles. You could pick up some useful phrases and Spanish pronunciation rules are really easy. What you write is what you say, not like in English.[/quote]

'You have to be able to take rejection from some quarters. The stories that everybody will be delighted to help you are not really true, unless you´re old.'

This happens in Britain. Not all the time, but I've seen and you hear about people turning their backs on broken English. I just think, they're trying there best and it's harder for them then it is for you. That really annoys me.

:) I wouldn't dare watch them with out subtitles. One of my favourite films in any language is Spirit of The Beehive, which shares similarities with the relatively overrated Pan's Labyrinth. Spanish film has kicked global ass in the last ten years though.

Sorry, shouldn't bore with film stuff. Welcome to the forum! :huh:

[quote name='metaltime' post='92462' date='Nov 22 2007, 12:45 AM']hi welcome

cant beat a stingray 5[/quote]

I got my Stingray from Soundcontrol/Carlsboro in Hyson Green nearly 20 years ago. I wanted a Warwick, but couldn't play it. The Stingray is probably the best playing production bass I've touched