Why become a member? ×

Superfly problems

parker_muse

[quote name='parker_muse' post='832141' date='May 9 2010, 01:08 PM']I've not removed it - i'll do that now and give it a go.[/quote]

To be honest I wouldn't bother 'til it's fixed, in case it affects your warranty (it shouldn't but some music store people don't realise that). If it keeps cutting out now, it suggests a component that is already on its last legs. It may have been caused by thermal stresses in the past. So, assuming it's possible with these Superfly heads, I'd get it repaired under warranty and then when you get it back take it out of the case. Maybe even mod it for fan cooling.

I had a similar prob with my Superfly when I first got it. Ashdown told me the mains lead that was actually supplied with a 3 amp fuse should actually have been supplied with at least a 5 amp fuse. This solved part of the problem.

Then, being a curious b****r at the best of times, I decided to check the time delay fuse on the amp itself, only to find that this was rated at 6 amps! Yes – this is how the amp left the factory. I replaced this fuse with the correct rated T2AL, only for this to blow every time I switched the amp on.

Another e-mail to Ashdown followed by some deliberation from them brought the response that my amp was obviously drawing a high current at switch-on and that it would be OK to put a T4AL fuse in the amp. I did this and over 2 years later the amp is still going strong (but I kept all the e-mails, just in case anything went wrong).

My Superfly clearly does draw a high current at switch on – all the lights in our rehearsal room go dim for a moment!

But in the interests of safety, I’m not suggesting you take the same action as I was advised to do – best wait to see what the guys at Ashdown recommend.

By the way – I agree with the advice to remove the amp from its outer case; it does seem to help with cooling. To make it even better, I hooked up a 12v computer cooling fan to a mains transformer and put this on top of the amp to draw the heat out of the vents on the top – this works brilliantly even in the warmest gig venues. :)