Why become a member? ×

New 'Fretless' bridge - vid of Dominique Di Piazza playing some lovely stuff

urb

Hey

Dom Di Piazza has just launched his signature bass bridge that allows you to make notes sound like they are fretless - the bridge has wooden saddles so you get the 'mwah' effect when you sustain notes - but without any issues with intonation - meaning you can play chords as well... bass specs [url="http://www.mike-sabre.com/dppm/dppm.html"]here[/url]

Anyway check this vid out - the first tune is a bit cheesy but the second half of the vid he plays a gorgeous solo piece:

M

[quote name='supabock' post='825885' date='May 2 2010, 09:09 PM']Can't help but think that's cheating a little?????????[/quote]

Maybe but considering it means you can play more attacking fingerstyle funk lines that can be hard on a fretless and then switch to get really lovely fretless tones on a solo or more 'jazzy' section of a tune I think it would be great - and I say this from the POV of having not gigged with my fretless for years now!

M

[quote name='supabock' post='825916' date='May 2 2010, 09:28 PM']Stop being such a girl and get your fretless out !! :)[/quote]

Yeah I know... but this is what I'm talking about - check this out:

[quote name='supabock' post='825944' date='May 2 2010, 09:51 PM']Ummmmm think i need to do a little practice really!! I see what you mean, but i would rather see a great technician doing this on a fretless??[/quote]

Well yeah of course you would because you're a bass player. The rest of the world won't notice what's making the sound.

[quote name='urb' post='825927' date='May 2 2010, 09:33 PM']Yeah I know... but this is what I'm talking about - check this out:

[/quote]

About ten years ago I had the honour to play two concerts (Brussels and Lausanne) with this percussionist Trilok Gurtu. I was so nervous that there was sweat on top instead of in the palm of my hands. He played a solo in 5/4 while I had to keep the tune going. Very kind musician to play with but on a musical level which was planets beyond mine. I treasure the memory of those two concerts.