Why become a member? ×

[TRADED] BC Rich Mockingbird Heritage

ThomBassmonkey

This is a nice bass but I just don't need a 4 stringer, since I got it in a trade on here, I've barely played it. The most it's been used at one time is for a photo shoot where I took it along because it really does look the bee's knees. It's been played enough for me to get a feel for it, but because I rely on that low B, it's sadly just not getting used. Now with the arrival of a new bass, I think it's going to see even less usage.

Condition: It looks like someone was short a hammer at some point and used this bass instead. The body's got a chunk missing from near the jack, it's got some bad scarring over the top horn and loads of dings and scratches. The neck's in perfect condition though and looks stunning. Somehow there's not even a scratch on that (which is nothing short of a miracle with the state of the body). All the electrics work and if you're into the whole appearance of damaged gear, this is a brilliant instrument.

Mods: The bridge has been changed at some point (I think, we have a new one in at the shop which has a different bridge, but I've not looked any more into it). Someone was probably fed up at the problem these basses have with action so put on a bridge that could go lower. Someone's taken the backs off the tuners so they're open geared now. I've never had a problem with it holding tuning though.

Sound: Sounds nice and punchy through my GK. It's probably not far from a standard P tone (I'm not a fan of Ps, so never spent too much time with one), but it has another P pickup in the bridge so there's a bit of something extra to play with as well as the standard P placement.

These cost about £450 new, but because of the *cough* relic'd *cough* appearance, I'm going to value it as a cheaper instrument. So I'm looking for either about £275 in cash or I'd trade it for something interesting.

On the 4 string front (I know I said I don't need a 4 stringer, sadly common sense doesn't have much power over GAS), I'm only really interested in a jazz. Squier VMJ (plus cash) or maybe a tatty Fender (I might be able to summon up some cash for a good, cheap one, but not without it being a deal I really can't pass up). I could be tempted by something a bit different, but it'd have to be a fairly unique and interesting bass.
I'll take a look at any 5/6 stringers, though I'd still like something with a J/J or P/J pup config preferably.

Or £250 in cash.

I'll upload some pictures later.

Thom

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

Ok, Pictures!

Full shot:

The biggest bit of damage and the beautiful quilting along the neck-thru stripe.

Some more paint damage to the back of the bass.

The stunning neck, which has somehow managed to avoid the damage the body's managed to pick up. Looking at this, you'd think it was in pristine condition.

The other big bit of damage, looks like it's been scraped over something and rather than chip the paint, it's kinda scraped it.

Showing another bump to the top of the bass, the different bridge and more beautiful quilting.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

If only it was trans Red.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='825688' date='May 2 2010, 05:41 PM']Ok, Pictures!

Full shot:

The biggest bit of damage and the beautiful quilting along the neck-thru stripe.

Some more paint damage to the back of the bass.

The stunning neck, which has somehow managed to avoid the damage the body's managed to pick up. Looking at this, you'd think it was in pristine condition.

The other big bit of damage, looks like it's been scraped over something and rather than chip the paint, it's kinda scraped it.

Showing another bump to the top of the bass, the different bridge and more beautiful quilting.
[/quote]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='825967' date='May 2 2010, 10:20 PM']Have those bridge saddles been filed flat to get them low enough? Looks like a lot of the screw poking out the top.[/quote]

Nope, just very long lugs. That's easy enough to sort out and was on my list of things to do, I've not used the bass enough to warrant it though and because I'm a finger player, it's never affected me enough to sort it out quickly.

These basses are known for the saddles being very tall so the action can't go low enough for a lot of people, a bridge replacement isn't an uncommon mod from what I've seen so it wasn't a surprise to me that the bridge didn't match the stock one we have in the shop.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

Ok, more pictures and info as requested.

Re: Action.

At the 12th fret I make the action roughly 4mm from the edge of the string to the top of the fret, only measured with a ruler, so not very accurate but it's about that. It is as low as it'll go on the bridge though. There is a bit of buzz at the 11th fret on the D string (doesn't affect the sound through the amp as it is), but the truss rod needs a tweak and that'll probably sort it out (I don't have the right sized allen key unfortunately or I'd be able to do it).

Action at 12th Fret:

Other requested pics:

Full shot from roughly the back of the bass:

Back of the headstock (inc. Serial Number and open machine heads):

Another full back shot:

Back of the body including heel:

Bump up with price drop. Now looking for £250 for it. I'd also trade it in a straight swap for a VMJ with upgraded pups/tuners or a stock VMJ with £75.

I can't drop the price any more since I'm after a VMJ (if I don't trade this) and they go for around £250 near me and I think this is a good price anyway.

Let me know if you have any questions or want more photos, I'll be happy to help.

I can throw in a soft case that I use for it at the moment (despite it's shape, it does fit in a standard soft case, though it's a bit of a squeeze). It's not very padded though, so I'd rather it was collected.

If someone does want it posted, I'm happy if you cover the costs and it's insured.

Holy f***! This used to be mine only 9 months ago...
It wasn't in perfect condition when I sold it (few scuffs on the back and the scuff on the pickup plus the chip on the bottom of the back) but my god, what the hell has happened to it :|
I will admit, I do miss this bass, but I could never have it back because I'm sticking to P-Basses from now on
Have a free bump on me

i dont mind doing the bodywork!

thom is a really nice guy, check out his stuff from james warner prophecies, and our stuff (NG26)

really pleased with the bass as i was looking at one on auction, but it went too high for my budget!

the maverick was really nice but from the sounds of it, the trade worked to our individual needs better!

cheers