Why become a member? ×

Beginner material for bow

I need to learn to use a bow, and I need to learn to read dots. I can't do either at all. Any suggestions of material that won't scare me away?

I noticed yesterday that I've got a book of Bach's cello suites that I must've bought in 1996 when I last (briefly) had a double bass. I don't remember buying it but there it is, I suppose I must've!

You could try following my "Getting started with Music Reading" series on the Boot Camp, which is pinned at the top of the "Theory and Technique" forum.
It's as relevant to DB as BG and I'm keeping things fairly simple to begin with.

So far there are 2 sessions - Numbers 20 and 21 - with Session 22 on the way.

The Major

Edited by Major-Minor

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='820934' date='Apr 27 2010, 06:11 PM']You could try following my "Getting started with Music Reading" series on the Boot Camp, which is pinned at the top of this forum.
It's as relevant to DB as BG and I'm keeping things fairly simple to begin with.

So far there are 2 sessions - Numbers 20 and 21 - with Session 22 on the way.

The Major[/quote]

Recommended.

Also, I like the F.Simandl and Pagannini's Caprices :)

Not bad Bilbo but you're lucky I've even heard of them. Unless the jokes were for everybody else's benefit (which would be mean!).

Is Simandl the pivoty-positiony guy? I like that idea. And I only know who Paganini is because all the poofy-haired metal guitarists proper bum him.

MM: Thanks I will take a nosey at those tonight.