Why become a member? ×

Which S. Duncan split P with a Classic '50 and an Ashdown amp?

EmaTheMirror

Hi,

I have a Precision Classic '50, great bass for the buck, but I'd like to upgrade the pickup. My decision is between the original vintage-like SPB1 and the quarter-pound SPB3, feeding a colourful Ashdown ABM and 4x10 (and passing through some FXs as well, mostly o.drives)...

The Classic '50 has a nice maple fingerboard and IMV has naturally bright and present sound which I like combined to the P split and its warm wooden tone. The Ashdown (and my eq) has a warm colour as well; for my band I like Brit-style bass tones like the ones from bands ranging from Doves to Radiohead, Placebo, Muse, Interpol (etc) which usually rump and have a distinctive colour. I don't know which pickup could be the best choice... somewhere I read that the quarter-pound is a great mate for rosewood fingerboards given its extended range and I actually fear it might give a sort of "colder" "less characteristic" or somehow "less inpsiring" tone in the overall mix (we're a trio and the guitarist plays through a great fender valve combo, I'm not overwhelmed by tons of things and my tone does matter in the mix)... I also read that sometimes it can result in less presence in the mix, dunno if it's true

by now I'm more biased towards the vintage-correct SPB1, though I'd like to know opinions from you, especially from those who've played those pickups with an Ashdown amp and a similar setup

Of course, I know about the "hot" overwound and (in the end) darker SPB2, but I fear it's not the best choice for an already hot, drivable and warm Ashdown

p.s. I also care about the high-end of my tone, warm but not muddy, deaf or dull! :)

Edited by EmaTheMirror

i've never tried the SPB1, i don't use ashdown, and i don't use od pedals. i also don't know the bands Doves, Placebo or Interpol, and as for the bass tone to Muse, you can get that with just about any bass, its more about the effects. so basically, i don't know what i'm talking about :rolleyes:

but i just wanted to post to say i swear by the SPB3, in every precision bass i've owned i've put one in, and theres one in my taitycaster. tbh, you won't go wrong with the SPB3, i'm fairly sure you'll be happy with it - you definitely wont find it cold or uninspiring, if thats what you're worried about. they're a great pickup, powerful and i've never had problems with lack of presence in the mix. like i said, you won't go wrong, its just a matter of whether the SPB1 would be [i]better[/i] than the SPB3 for you, which i just don't know, you'll have to wait for others to reply.

not very helpful really :)

I can vouch for both, I have a Q/Pounder in my 51 reissue Squier and SPB-1 in Squier Precision, well the Squier needed the beefy q/pounder because the original pickup didn't do it justice at high volume, and the Precision's perfect match is the SPB-1 for all things period correct and vintage like.

Oddly enough my most recent purchase a Fender 51 reissue CIJ has a pickup that to me is fantastic and the best thing for that bass. Well done that Fuji company in Japan for selecting the perfect match.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='817740' date='Apr 25 2010, 01:16 AM']I can vouch for both, I have a Q/Pounder in my 51 reissue Squier and SPB-1 in Squier Precision, well the Squier needed the beefy q/pounder because the original pickup didn't do it justice at high volume[/quote]

thx 4 Ur answers

isn't that the single-coil 1/4£ anyway? :)