Why become a member? ×

Rebuild or replace?

Sparkman

Hi there - I've got a 1900's 3\4 czech bass - looks gorgeous but not happy with the volume (always) or tone (often). It's got a carved top and ply back n sides. No idea what the fingerboard is but it's stained black. I paid about 900 euro for it in Prague about 10 years ago. If I replace the sides and back with solid wood and replace the fingerboard is it likely to help the volume, tone? Or is there anything else I can do?
Any thoughts\suggestions welcome...tks

[quote name='Sparkman' post='816451' date='Apr 23 2010, 04:53 PM']Hi there - I've got a 1900's 3\4 czech bass - looks gorgeous but not happy with the volume (always) or tone (often). It's got a carved top and ply back n sides. No idea what the fingerboard is but it's stained black. I paid about 900 euro for it in Prague about 10 years ago. If I replace the sides and back with solid wood and replace the fingerboard is it likely to help the volume, tone? Or is there anything else I can do?
Any thoughts\suggestions welcome...tks[/quote]

I would take it to a bass luthier with experience and get it set up properly-soundpost adjustment can be crucial and every bass is different.Increasing string height will give you more volume but will make it harder to play until you get used to it.What kind of strings are on it?Are they past their sell-by date?If you want volume I suggest Spirocore Mittels which are fairly high tension.Of course your bass may suit low tension better.
Getting it re-built will cost a lot.You're looking at £2000 plus .If you're not happy after a good setup and new strings punt it on.
There are much more experienced players on here but I think they may say something similar

Iain

Yes, with that kind of bass I go along with the adjust rather than rebuild guys. With pickups and amps, however, I've never considered lack of volume to be a great problem. In fact some otherwise good/great basses have a sound that completely overwhelms the amp. If your volume is unbalanced across the strings then some adjustment would be essential. I had a Czech bass once and as soon as I started playing up the g string the volume fell right off. Not much fun.