Why become a member? ×

FS: Tech 21 Sansamp VT & Akai Unibass

Beedster

Both recent acquisitions from BCers, but after a good work out with them over the last few days, neither really fit with the band's sound, and I'm finding that I'm just carrying too many boxes around now!

The Akai is a remarkable piece of kit, if we were a little more funky it would be staying, it's also a great piece of kit for filling out the sound. It's £10 more than I paid Jim last week as I had to source a mains power supply, which will be included.

The VT does what it says on the tin really, makes your solid state 150w combo sound like an SVT running at full tilt through an 8x10, It also does great B-15 tones, and everything down to gentle valvey warmth

Both are in full working order. Might be interested in a decent DI box (e.g., Sansamp programmable)

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

Few PMs requesting photos of the VT. I don't have a camera until the weekend I'm afraid. I'm also on a mobile connection which runs at snail's pace, and given that it's such a pain in the a**e to reply to PMs with the bloody one per minute rule, I don't have time (or patience) to reply to all PMs now.

I can describe it though:

Small grey retro-looking box, a few knobs and a couple of buttons. Input and output. Looks kinda like a brand new Sansamp VT pedal. It's also in a nice shiny black metal tin.

So, if you want to buy it, there it is, trust my comprehensive description and my feedback (link below). If not, no worries :)

Chris

[quote name='jgray112' post='815684' date='Apr 23 2010, 07:00 AM']Hi Chris, would love to buy the Unibass. Will you ship to US? How much total? Cheers and go Wolves!!![/quote]

Hiya mate

Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid this is UK/EU only, it's quite complicated and very expensive to post from the UK to the US. I'm sure you'll find one cheaper over there anyway!

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='bob_pickard' post='816138' date='Apr 23 2010, 01:12 PM']hi could i have first dibs on the Unibass please? I just need to check how it sounds on the sound samples tonight if that's ok - but I'll let you knwo definitely yes or no later today if that's OK?[/quote]

Of course Bob. There's a couple of guys theoretically ahead of you but they haven't got back to me yet so if you can let me know this evening, it's yours. Please ask any specific questions about sound or functionality here as I'm happy to answer them.

Cheers

Chris

brilliant - I've found some sound samples on the akai site (I just can't listen to them at work!) we're a 3 piece in Vinyl Tap at the mo and it would be great if I could fill out some rhythm guitar sounds while the guitarist is soloing - do you reckon this would do the job? Classic rock type stuff

[quote name='bob_pickard' post='816162' date='Apr 23 2010, 01:27 PM']brilliant - I've found some sound samples on the akai site (I just can't listen to them at work!) we're a 3 piece in Vinyl Tap at the mo and it would be great if I could fill out some rhythm guitar sounds while the guitarist is soloing - do you reckon this would do the job? Classic rock type stuff[/quote]

Well I humbled our guitarist last weekend...

The answer is yes. It takes some fiddling; you have to make sure that the signal going into the unit isn't in any way ambiguous as it can get confused. However, it tracks very well, and the ability to drive an octave up, octave plus 5th or octave minus 4th provides a whole lot of flexibility. Just for a laugh we did Black Night with the classic bass/gtr riff using octave only and then got into octave plus 5th on the verse, and it sounded like the tightest rhythm section ever! You will never again have a sloppy guitarist!

If you use the I/P sensitivity and gate cleverly, you can also get some great rhythm effects, and if you then cut the bass using the right hand footswitch, you can almost do call and response type bass/gtr patterns (although this just frazzled my brain after a while).

If you have a spare gtr amp and can drive the effect O/P through some effects, especially Wah (for character) and Chorus (to thicken it up a bit), you can get some great - and for 'great' read 'authentic' - sounds.

If you want to drive down to Canterbury to try it out I'm more than happy to oblige

Chris

Edited by Beedster