Why become a member? ×

Feeler - red sparkle Bass Collection

Ian Savage

Well, I'm massively downsizing the collection and this is the last 'good' one to go on the block - just bought a Squier Silver Series Jazz which I shouldn't have done but absolutely fell in love with!

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v669/smokingbeagle/?action=view&current=DSCI0016.jpg"][/url]

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v669/smokingbeagle/?action=view&current=DSCI0015.jpg"][/url]

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v669/smokingbeagle/?action=view&current=DSCI0014.jpg"][/url]

It's a late-90s Japanese-made job (bought new in 1998, IIRC), they weren't in the Bass Collection catalogues over here and according to the shop I bought it in (Bass Centre in Birmingham) it was imported by accident - I've certainly never seen another one like it!

The body's got a few little dinks and the scratchplate's got a few, well, scratches, but overall it's in good condition and sounds superb. The dual P-type pickups and two-band active electronics can give you pretty much any sound you need and for bassists who want to stand out the red sparkle finish and mirror 'plate look brilliant under stage lights.

I did a bit of digging when I bought it and found out it's apparently an SB340 model, but Googling brings up precious little - according to the distributor at the time they were available in Japan in red, silver and purple finishes, but as I say, I've never seen another one!

Not sure of the worth of it (I paid about £450, if I remember rightly), so make me an offer I can't understand! :)

If you want to nail the model down and fancy removing the neck, the model series should be stamped in the neck pocket.
Found this out when i removed the neck of my Bass Collection which I thought was an SB325, turns out it's an SB405

[quote name='BassBunny' post='812927' date='Apr 20 2010, 07:43 PM']If you want to nail the model down and fancy removing the neck, the model series should be stamped in the neck pocket.
Found this out when i removed the neck of my Bass Collection which I thought was an SB325, turns out it's an SB405[/quote]

Cheers Bunny, shall give that a go tonight!

[quote name='Nickytwister' post='813500' date='Apr 21 2010, 10:26 AM']That bass is an SB441; imported by House Music in the mid-90s.
They came in red, black (and purple I think).[/quote]

I shall bow to your knowledge on that Nicky (although 441 does ring vague bells, now you mention it) as sadly there's no model number in the neck pocket.

As far as price goes, I'd be liking offers around the three hundred quid mark really - this thing's pretty much unique in this country so I don't think that's TOO OTT!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...