Why become a member? ×

Boss PQ-3B / PQ-4 / GEB-7 Differences

Smash

Hi, I want to add a couple of shaping pedals as in the title, but does anybody know if the PQ-4 is the updated version of the PQ-3B or is it just solely for guitar? also the GEB-7 is this the same style pedal as the Parametric pedals or completely different? Thanks

Hey Ash! The extremes of each control is different on the PQ-3B Vs PQ-4 . I cant quite find the information about the low extremes of the PQ-4 at the moment - but as long as it was down to at least 50hz - then I feel that both pedals would be perfectly useable for bass guitar. Certainly the PQ-3B has a low boost right down to 25Hz which is well below the fundamentals of a 4 string 'E' - though as we have discovered in many other threads - half the time ou are not hearing the fundamental of a note as strong as the over tones anyway - so a shelving bass boost in the 100Hz region s going to sound just as far when boosted.

The graphic version of the pedal isn't giving you the option to specifically tune you boost or cut frequencies - but on the flipside you *can* cut and boost more frequencies at the same time, as opposed to a 'blanket' range of frequencies with the parametric. I think all three would be perfectly adequate - though I read that some feel the parametric pedal is better sounding. Hmm, I wonder if that is because it is no longer made, rare and preserved in 'snake oil'???? Possibly! - You could say that the Para' pedal will have fewer 'filter' blocks and thus fewer phasing issues, so a purer tone.. but anyone who could tell that nearing 100dB on stage with a drummer and Mr 5150 in the corner - it doesn't matter!!!

That's great thanks Dan, I don't normally opt for Boss pedals but this year I am having some Bossness on the board, maybe because I am singing and playing I find them pedals easier to tap so I don't have to look down. I also like the designs of Boss effects and find shaping them very simple as the controls are in the same place. I would dearly love to find either a Boss PQ-3B or Boss PQ-4 but there doesn't seem to be many about, I will hunt about, thanks for the advice :)