Why become a member? ×

Anyone use a Dunlop MXR Distortion + with bass?

AttitudeCastle

Hey All!

I'm doing some Distortion shopping as it were, i'm after a very slight crunch to add to my sound, think Duff Mckagen,

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnHNkWyGmFw&feature=player_embedded#"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnHNkWyGmFw...layer_embedded#[/url]

sort of style, now this will be hard as i am AWFUL at using words and describing things :)

I am interested in the Ashdown Drive plus, the Ashdown James LoMenzo Hyperdrive, and things similar, i don't like the fuzzy sounding "distortion" stuff,
Like the Dunlop MXR Distortion + i know that Duff uses it, and i believe it was used on the recording of the Velvet Revolver song "Set Me Free",

the kind of sound i'm looking for is thing of the clean tone as like ice cream and the overdrive/distortion as being waffer on either side

Like i said, i'm awful with words,

I'm would be running the distortion about 85% of the time, i don't want the sound to get too be too fuzz like, or too phat, especially when hitting the high notes,

does such a thing exist?

And i'll understand if you guys have no clue what i mean haha

Thanks,
AC

Edited by AttitudeCastle

look up 'Catalinbread SFT' on the good ole YouTube - i think it's lightest settings are exactly what you are looking for - it also does 'brutal' as well. Failing that - I have an MXR M80 and that does a light grunge too - or full on distortion.

The video clip doesn't sound like any outboard distortion as such - just Duff's GK's cranked hard. I am sure I have seen somewhere online Duff's amp settings and remember the dials been set to 'stun' as it were :)

[quote name='dood' post='802203' date='Apr 10 2010, 10:43 PM']look up 'Catalinbread SFT' on the good ole YouTube - i think it's lightest settings are exactly what you are looking for - it also does 'brutal' as well. Failing that - I have an MXR M80 and that does a light grunge too - or full on distortion.

The video clip doesn't sound like any outboard distortion as such - just Duff's GK's cranked hard. I am sure I have seen somewhere online Duff's amp settings and remember the dials been set to 'stun' as it were :)[/quote]

Thanks alot Dood! will check it out now!

[quote name='dood' post='802203' date='Apr 10 2010, 10:43 PM']look up 'Catalinbread SFT' on the good ole YouTube - i think it's lightest settings are exactly what you are looking for - it also does 'brutal' as well. Failing that - I have an MXR M80 and that does a light grunge too - or full on distortion.

The video clip doesn't sound like any outboard distortion as such - just Duff's GK's cranked hard. I am sure I have seen somewhere online Duff's amp settings and remember the dials been set to 'stun' as it were :)[/quote]

The SFT does seem along the right track! i will have to investigate getting one! And yes you right, Duff is using an GK 2001RB which has a dirty channel according to the description of that DVD i found on t'internet :rolleyes:

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='802381' date='Apr 11 2010, 09:56 AM']The SFT does seem along the right track! i will have to investigate getting one! And yes you right, Duff is using an GK 2001RB which has a dirty channel according to the description of that DVD i found on t'internet :)[/quote]

*somewhere* online you'll also find a video where 'they' run through all of his gear. I have a sneaky suspicion it was a link on the Dunlop/MXR site.