Why become a member? ×

"Modifing" an Aerodyne Jazz Bass

geo_bass

'Reet,

I'm after some advice regarding my Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass.

After joining a new band i'm changing from Standard E Tuning to a C-G-C-F Tuning.

I pretty much want the bass sounding as good as it did in standard tuning, what i want to know is..
· What gauge and type of stings i should be going for to make playing it "less wobbly"
· Would replacing the bridge or nuts be of any benefit?

And being that im based just outside of Glasgow, would like any recommendations of places i can have any work done.

Cheers
Geo

[quote name='geo_bass' post='798531' date='Apr 7 2010, 11:29 AM']'Reet,

I'm after some advice regarding my Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass.

After joining a new band i'm changing from Standard E Tuning to a C-G-C-F Tuning.

I pretty much want the bass sounding as good as it did in standard tuning, what i want to know is..
· What gauge and type of stings i should be going for to make playing it "less wobbly"
· Would replacing the bridge or nuts be of any benefit?

And being that im based just outside of Glasgow, would like any recommendations of places i can have any work done.

Cheers
Geo[/quote]

Do you really want that low C? I leave my Skjold tuned DGCF these days, it's so smoooooooooth to play :) BTW it's 35" scale strung with GHS 3060 black nylons.
I suppose if you find it a bit 'wobbly' just ease off with the plucking maybe? That bottom C is too low for a lot of strings without perhaps going to a B from a five set, or at least something like a 115/120 which will probably mean opening up the nut to take it, or fit a new nut. The truss rod will probably need relaxing a flat or two. The bridge should be fine, it'll just need the intonation & height setup to match the strings you end up with, after setting the truss rod.

I can't help you regarding where to get the work done, I'm way down South :rolleyes:

You don't say what sort of strings you would like to use, round or flat for starters?

Cheers,
John