Why become a member? ×

Bypassing inbuilt combo amp for seperate head?

Sarah5string

Evenin' :)
I'm getting a new head and cab, upgrading my existing Laney RBW300. However, I'm getting the head first as I've yet to decide on a cab. My question is, how would I go about bypassing the inbuilt laney amp in the combo, and using the new head with the 1x15 speaker? Is this possible? If so, what cables do I need.
If it's not possible then I'll either be part exing the amp or just whacking it on the for sale/trade board on here.
It's served me well but it's time to upgrade :rolleyes:

Here's some pics of the front and back inputs, which I wasn't sure of when I posted the question in my 'opinions...' thread..

Any help appreciated as always, you guys awesome :lol: I love you aaaall. mwah :lol: :lol:

Having looked at the inputs I'm not hopeful it's actually possible.. but alas..

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='792176' date='Mar 31 2010, 05:18 PM']Evenin' :)
I'm getting a new head and cab, upgrading my existing Laney RBW300. However, I'm getting the head first as I've yet to decide on a cab. My question is, how would I go about bypassing the inbuilt laney amp in the combo, and using the new head with the 1x15 speaker? Is this possible? If so, what cables do I need.
If it's not possible then I'll either be part exing the amp or just whacking it on the for sale/trade board on here.
It's served me well but it's time to upgrade :rolleyes:

Here's some pics of the front and back inputs, which I wasn't sure of when I posted the question in my 'opinions...' thread..

Any help appreciated as always, you guys awesome :lol: I love you aaaall. mwah :lol: :lol:

Having looked at the inputs I'm not hopeful it's actually possible.. but alas..

[/quote]

Not possible without getting someone to disconnect the amp from the speaker and adding a connecting jack somewhere on the unit.

(Am I the only person on this forum that actually [i]likes[/i] Laney gear?)

[quote name='guylewis' post='792263' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM']Not possible without getting someone to disconnect the amp from the speaker and adding a connecting jack somewhere on the unit.

(Am I the only person on this forum that actually [i]likes[/i] Laney gear?)[/quote]
Thought that would be the case, but thought I'd get more knowledgable eyes on it, so thanks :)
and no, I love laney gear too :rolleyes:

Ah well.. onto for sale it goes! lol

*warning - this could render the amplifier unusable if done badly*

If that Laney is anything like my Carlsbro, the front and rear panels are separate, rather than being part of a wide U chassis. There should be about 4 bolts each side that hold the panels in place - unscrew those and pull out the front and rear (or rear only if it bothers you to have a slot running through the top of the cab). Unclip the front panel from the cable that connects them together and separate them.

The speaker cable will either be soldered direct to the rear board or will (most likely) be on some kind of plug that plugs to the output section on the rear board. You'll need to snip this off (leave some length for reconnection at a future date) and solder on a jack socket in it's place (Maplin). You can plug your speaker cable from the head into this socket.

If you want I'll post pics of the amp I have dissected on my kitchen table right now.

Store the amp sections careful to reverse procedure if you want to sell it.

*edit - pix

You can see the 2 halves of the amp - front

Rear

Here you can see the speaker wire where it disappears into the top of the cab, sealed with a large blob of hot glue. The cable connects to the board with that yellow plug. I am about to do exactly what you want to do - clip off the plug and replace it with a jack socket so I can use the dead amp as a cab.

Edited by Ancient Mariner

Sarah, have you tried using the amp with an extension cab plugged in? I used to have the RBW200 (120W, 1x12) and it really came alive with a second 1x12 cab.

Yours is only pushing about 100 Watts into the internal speaker, plugging in a second cab will release the other 65 and, more importantly, increase your cone area.

I recently picked up an old Carlsbro 100W 1x15 cab for a tenner on ebay - something like that would work fine with your Laney.

A

Edit: Too late - I see it's up for sale already.