Why become a member? ×

Effects loop and levels

josh3184

Basically, you can't ever increase the level of anything without there being a point at which it clips.

"gain" on a distortion pedal, will generally not effect the output level much. On most pedals you have an output level control, and this is what controls the output level. If you have a pedal in your effects loop, and it creates a massive gain boost (a boost in level, not a boost in distortion), it's after the pre-amp and before the power amp, and it could create distortion in the power amp, which could damage the amp or the cab (I think).

The clip light generally only shows when the pre-amp is clipping. Unless you have an indicator (My Peavey has one) for the power amp then I would be careful.

Is it that you think the pre-amp in your amp is too quiet to drive the power amp properly? Why is it that you want to increase the level between the pre and power amps?

No, its just that I've got the gain for the pre set nicely with my bass and I've got a Sansamp BDDI in the effects loop, I was just uncertain as to whether this meant that I could whack up the input level or whether I had to watch out for some issues (which evidently I do)

Thanks for the help so far!