Why become a member? ×

Wiring diagram needed

Pookus

Hi,
I am adding a second pick up to an EBO bass, but just want to keep the controls simple - using existing volume and tone pots - just adding a 3 way selector for neck / both / bridge. Please can any electrical types help me with a diagram. Thanks.

This might do the job (see attached - just a quick pen 'n' ink sketch). Does depend on how well the pickups are matched - if one has a significantly different impedance, you may have to put a blend pot between the two pickups to balance the volume. Are both pickups single-coil?

Also, you'll need a three-way switch - on/on/on with a centre detent.

HTH, Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='790413' date='Mar 30 2010, 11:14 AM']This might do the job (see attached - just a quick pen 'n' ink sketch). Does depend on how well the pickups are matched - if one has a significantly different impedance, you may have to put a blend pot between the two pickups to balance the volume. Are both pickups single-coil?

Also, you'll need a three-way switch - on/on/on with a centre detent.

HTH, Ian[/quote]

Wow, thanks Ian. Just what I needed. Both pick ups are the standard Sidewinder Humbucker on an EB0. I've got a multimeter, maybe I can check the impedance of the pick ups with that? Cheers. :) :rolleyes: :lol:

Edited by Pookus

[quote name='Pookus' post='790948' date='Mar 30 2010, 07:10 PM']Wow, thanks Ian. Just what I needed.[/quote]
No worries. Hope it works for you.

[quote]Both pick ups are the standard Sidewinder Humbucker on an EB0.[/quote]
OK - I noticed the EB0 doesn't have a coil-tap option, so I'm going out on a limb here, guessing that the there's only the hot wire and the ground brought out of the pickup (piccies would help!). If it's four-wires (plus ground), or four-wires-with-two-soldered-together, then you have an option for including a coil-tap (at a later date if you wish). Had a quick Google for the pickup wiring but nothing popped up immediately.

[quote]I've got a multimeter, maybe I can check the impedance of the pick ups with that? Cheers. :) :rolleyes: :lol:[/quote]
Yep, that'll work. As long as they're in the same ballpark - when they're in parallel the volume should be balanced-ish :lol:

HTH, Ian

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Bottle' post='791634' date='Mar 31 2010, 10:32 AM']No worries. Hope it works for you.

OK - I noticed the EB0 doesn't have a coil-tap option, so I'm going out on a limb here, guessing that the there's only the hot wire and the ground brought out of the pickup (piccies would help!). If it's four-wires (plus ground), or four-wires-with-two-soldered-together, then you have an option for including a coil-tap (at a later date if you wish). Had a quick Google for the pickup wiring but nothing popped up immediately.

Yep, that'll work. As long as they're in the same ballpark - when they're in parallel the volume should be balanced-ish :)

HTH, Ian[/quote]

Ian

I'm modding a late 80s/early 90s Epiphone "by Gibson" Rock Bass (Jazz pickup configuration) and I wonder if you could help. What I'm attempting is the following series

2 single coil pickups > DPDT "on-on-on" switch > 1x master volume > input (bypassing tone entirely).

Pickups are stock EMG Select (passive). Your diagram appears to be exactly what I'm looking for - but i'll just go from the volume pot straight to the output and miss out the tone pot junction.

I wonder if you could elaborate a bit further on your diagram - specifically where/to what do you ground the DPDT switch - do both ground wires go straight to the volume pot?

Also in your schematic the bottom right and top left terminals of the DPDT which are tagged as HOT TO VOL/TONE are linked after the switch. How is this done? Is it simply a case of soldering both wires to the input leg of the volume pot or do they need to join before this?

Thanks for your time,

Noel