Why become a member? ×

Epiphone

No1skewenjack

I currenlty have a entry level bass called a 'Black' it only cost £80 with a amp good value. In a few months time I will buy a better bass. my price range is about 180 to 250. I know buying a bass is all about the sound of the individual bass the type of wood and feel etc. I like funky stuff, slap and bass lines like chic.

Has anyone heard how good a epiphone is? how long they last? Much value for money? Or are there better copies out there?

[quote name='No1skewenjack' post='787960' date='Mar 27 2010, 04:10 PM']I currenlty have a entry level bass called a 'Black' it only cost £80 with a amp good value. In a few months time I will buy a better bass. my price range is about 180 to 250. I know buying a bass is all about the sound of the individual bass the type of wood and feel etc. I like funky stuff, slap and bass lines like chic.

Has anyone heard how good a epiphone is? how long they last? Much value for money? Or are there better copies out there?[/quote]

For £250 you have many, many options if you are willing to look second hand.

Is there a particular reason you are looking at the Epiphone?

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='787964' date='Mar 27 2010, 04:15 PM']Epiphone is the cheaper brand of Gibson, made in the Far East. It's generally good, depending which series you have. However, I wouldn't associate it with funk.

What model have you seen?[/quote]

Wouldn't a Jazz or Stingray copy be more suited?

I'm thinking an active OLP or a VMJ.

Get yourself a Squire Vintage Modified or if you can bump up the budget slightly, a new Classic Vibe Jazz or a second hand one will be in budget. You can`t go wrong.

Musicman copies, you could get a OLP copy for around £150ish but I don`t know how good they are but someone will no doubt put you right on them.. The Musicmans SUB`s are starting to go up in price and would more than likely be outwith your budget. Another option is the Ibanez ATK. Sounds like a Musicman and Hagguy has one for sale here for £250. A bargain price and they are really good basses abilet a bit fugly.

Give the Epi`s a body swerve as they are more suited to classic rock/blues type stuff.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='No1skewenjack' post='788001' date='Mar 27 2010, 04:58 PM']I have seen a EB3 for around £200. I must have been wrongly informed I thought a gibson was good for funk. My mistake im still learning and niave. I will keep an eye out for a copy of a fender jazz or a music man. Which copies are the best?[/quote]

A second hand OLP would be a good Musicman because they are licenced copies from MM, they are now discontinued.

Jazz wise a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz again they are licenced by Fender, I have one it is very comparable to Mexican Fender.

But really the best thing you can do is get out and try as many as you can.

you have a few options in that range, most of which are mentioned
in my experiance epiphone are not the best basses or guitars if i'mk honest, try a few ibanez,cort,olp
squiers. the longer you can save the better the bass you will get, imo on a budget
you cant go wrong with ibanez, im not saying that cos' im selling one, im gonna withdraw mine
but there is a natural one just been listed, if you want to slap but have some more tones available
thats the one. super comfy, very easy to play and eq. plus they are solidly built, you really can't go wrong
if i where you i would leave the epiphone well alone. if you see something you like ask plenty questions and make
sure you try as many as you can. hope that helps a bit :)

[quote name='hagguy' post='788909' date='Mar 28 2010, 09:40 PM']you have a few options in that range, most of which are mentioned
in my experiance epiphone are not the best basses or guitars if i'mk honest, try a few ibanez,cort,olp
squiers. the longer you can save the better the bass you will get, imo on a budget
you cant go wrong with ibanez, im not saying that cos' im selling one, im gonna withdraw mine
but there is a natural one just been listed, if you want to slap but have some more tones available
thats the one. super comfy, very easy to play and eq. plus they are solidly built, you really can't go wrong
if i where you i would leave the epiphone well alone. if you see something you like ask plenty questions and make
sure you try as many as you can. hope that helps a bit :)[/quote]

Agreed, I have never played a bad Ibanez, I might have one at my dad's house I must go check.