Why become a member? ×

G&L JB2

implo

Not getting on with my (undeniably lovely) Stingray, so I've been looking into alternatives, namely something a little closer to the jazz bass set-up - 2 pups, slimmer neck. A G&L JB2 (Tribute) has turned up and I've heard good things about them. I won't have a chance to demo one here, so wondered if there are any players around these parts? Sound-wise I think I have a pretty good idea what they're like, but how do they play (if that's not a startlingly obtuse question)?

Edited by implo

I've not seen more than a couple of JB-2s on basschat. I cant recall any Tributes on here of late but there was a silver flake USA one on sale a couple of months back. belonged to Mansfield,maybe best giving him a PM? Theres a number of JB2 players on talkbass. do a search there and you'll probably get the info you need
fwiw I have a L-2000 (and recently sold a SB-2) with the same neck as the JB-2. I find them really playable,very much like a jazz bass or MusicMan Sterling. The Tribute JB-2 has the same neck profile as far as I know.
I'm not familiar with the JB-2 though I wanted one for a long time - I think the alnico pickups would make a nice change from the MFDs on all their other basses.
Looking at the website it says that both Tribute finish options use swamp ash for the body. any USA G&Ls I've owned and were ash tended to be quite heavy but I'm not sure if thats the same with the offshore ones. I used to own a Korean made ash body L-2000 which was nice and light and after a set up,played every bit as good as a USA one
imo a real nice alternative to a Fender Jazz

Edited by dub_junkie

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='787505' date='Mar 26 2010, 11:27 PM']I've not seen more than a couple of JB-2s on basschat. I cant recall any Tributes on here of late but there was a silver flake USA one on sale a couple of months back. belonged to Mansfield,maybe best giving him a PM? Theres a number of JB2 players on talkbass. do a search there and you'll probably get the info you need
fwiw I have a L-2000 (and recently sold a SB-2) with the same neck as the JB-2. I find them really playable,very much like a jazz bass or MusicMan Sterling. The Tribute JB-2 has the same neck profile as far as I know.
I'm not familiar with the JB-2 though I wanted one for a long time - I think the alnico pickups would make a nice change from the MFDs on all their other basses.
Looking at the website it says that both Tribute finish options use swamp ash for the body. any USA G&Ls I've owned and were ash tended to be quite heavy but I'm not sure if thats the same with the offshore ones. I used to own a Korean made ash body L-2000 which was nice and light and after a set up,played every bit as good as a USA one
imo a real nice alternative to a Fender Jazz[/quote]

Brilliant, you're a star - thanks.