Why become a member? ×

Out with the old.....

Bobo_Grimmer

Evening guys, Have a bit of a chin scratcher and i could do with some other idea and points of view. :lol:

I am a gigging bassist and jam a lot. My rig goes everywhere with me and i love it. I currently run a Trace Elliot RAH1000 with the matching BFC 1000W cab. It's awesome it really is but it's old, flakey and not as reliable as i'd like. Because of it's complexity it has been giving me some trouble on occasion with the bass end. It still works but is unreliable tonally. Now i don't want to go all techy as this isn't why i've posted this thread but i'd like to see what you would do in my situation. The Trace is so one of my dream amps and i feel so lucky to have one thing that i never thought i'd ever own. it's stereo throw is really wide and the cool delays pinging around the stage is awesome. I can run my old mono synth, 'The Jenny', though it as well as my bass And i have vocal effects running in there too! It's a crazy amp with so much on it. It's also really really loud! i mean super loud. i've never had trouble hearing it anywhere. Outside it sounds lovely and even in small venues at low level it still rumbles low and had clear highs.
But.... I had it serviced, in essex, a year or so ago and found out a little of the history of the AH1000 and it didn't fill me with confidence about how long my baby would last. :S The design of the RAH was complicated and had some 'gremlins' that haunted it's existence.
[I think maybe it was released before it should have been and maybe before some of the 'technical issues/bugs' were worked out.]
For those reasons my RAH seems to drop the bass end out, as if the bass amp section drops out leaving the two 250W amps running. I think that over in essex they have bit's to make about 4 or 5 of the RAH1000's but none of them seem to work.
I don't know of anyone else with a working RAH1000 and if they have any issues with it.

My thoughts are 'I think it's time for me to update my rig.' [That means selling one of my basses, [See the lefty bass thread] and my beloved RAH1000 and cab. :rolleyes:]

I've been looking around at rig's like the trace and i'm really liking the look of the [url="http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=1&vedi=67"]Markbass TA501 [/url]

I have a 4ohm trace elliot 8x10" cab that i could use with the new head, as the BFC would ether have to be re-wired or sold with the RAH1000, or i could sell the 8x10 as well and get one or two new cabs???.

Any thoughts or ideas about what i could do. :)

If you still love the tone of Trace Elliot, you could always just get another head. Second hand Trace heads are everywhere and a Series 6 or SMX type head would also be dirt cheap and be generally pretty reliable.

That said if buying new I would personally be looking at other options than Trace Elliot, as I find the new stuff to a little bit overpriced. You wouldn't really be going wrong with a Markbass, the couple I have tried have been great. Also around that price you could try the EBS Classic 450, HD 350 and the Aguilar AG500.

Thats a bit of a shame on the amp front though, with the issues of the amp though, you may not get that much money for it. Might be an idea to just play it until it craps out.

There was someone that had up loads of TE stuff in the for sale forum recently. And I mean loads. A quick search should tell you who it was and they might be able to help you sort your problem or supply something that'll fix it.

In saying that though, I wouldn't dare take a rig that I don't trust on stage. If you can source what you need to be confident in it, cool. If not, get something new (though if you sell your TE stuff, make sure it's clear it's on it's last legs).

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='785313' date='Mar 24 2010, 11:08 PM']There was someone that had up loads of TE stuff in the for sale forum recently. And I mean loads.[/quote]

That would be Thorneybank.... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70563"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70563[/url]

Not sure how much of it is left though!

[quote name='Conan' post='785326' date='Mar 24 2010, 11:16 PM']That would be Thorneybank.... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70563"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70563[/url]

Not sure how much of it is left though![/quote]

Nice one. Even if he doesn't have anything of any use here left, he seems pretty knowledgeable about TEs and might be able to offer advice.