Why become a member? ×

new pickup advice

pal1972

recently got hold of an old squier jazz, the prb;em i have is that the open 'A' string when played just doesn't cut through, but it does when the a string is layed on the frets! ive got a mag600 head and when playing open strings the vu meter moves much more on the other open strings than on the 'A'. I'm guessing its just a crappy pup, so what would be good replacements??

Edited by pal1972

[quote name='pal1972' post='782294' date='Mar 22 2010, 12:28 AM']recently got hold of an old squier jazz, the prb;em i have is that the open 'A' string when played just doesn't cut through, but it does when the a string is layed on the frets! ive got a mag600 head and when playing open strings the vu meter moves much more on the other open strings than on the 'A'. I'm guessing its just a crappy pup, so what would be good replacements??[/quote]

if the pickup is working fine as soon as you fret a note on that string, wouldn't it suggest the fault is with the nut or maybe a lack of break angle over it ?
(so more wraps on the tuner or at least try and push what you have lower)